• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2003 RX-1 Burning Oil???

87 is all I run, and I believe you can use either Sea Foam or Ring Free, correct me if I'm wrong anyone! 8)

Thanks for the updates. Now, just to be sure as i have heard 2 different things. With the ring free or sea foam do you need to change the oil becuase the deposits that it is getting rid of drop down into the oil?? I went to the Yammy dealer last night and explained the issue. He then showed me some sort of liquid (can't remember the name but it had Yamaha on it) that you spray in thur the openings from the air box to the carbs with the sled runing and clutch just engaging. Now then u use 3/4 of the can, let it sit for 5 mins and then take it for a quick tour and then change the oil right after... So if i don't need to change the oil then this ring free or sea foam is the better option????

Thx

cvenne said:
Thanks for the updates. Now, just to be sure as i have heard 2 different things. With the ring free or sea foam do you need to change the oil becuase the deposits that it is getting rid of drop down into the oil?? I went to the Yammy dealer last night and explained the issue. He then showed me some sort of liquid (can't remember the name but it had Yamaha on it) that you spray in thur the openings from the air box to the carbs with the sled runing and clutch just engaging. Now then u use 3/4 of the can, let it sit for 5 mins and then take it for a quick tour and then change the oil right after... So if i don't need to change the oil then this ring free or sea foam is the better option????

Thx

HUM... That sounds interesting. its used just like fogging oil but has basically the opposite affect. it cleans rather than fogging. If yamaha puts it out then they must believe its safe for the motor. sounds like a pretty serious cleaning that the sleds gunna recieve. IDK Personally I think Id try the stuff and change the oil after. even just for the piece of mind that the problem is removed from the engine. Then maybe run a little sea foam through it after. Correct me if Im wrong but I think you can run a little sea foam through it any time just to keep it running good.

Its basically Ring Free in a spray can. Sea Foam has the same spray alternative too. I believe the direct shock treatment into the cylinders and let it set overnight is a better way to go. Worked wonders for me. Its not quite so easy, but I believe its more effective. And, yes, change your oil afterwards. It will be black as a boot!

I will let you all know. I am bringin it to the dealer on Monday and will post results later that week. The one mechanic said he did it on he V4 motorbike and it worked beautifully.

How well did this work for you? I've been told SeaFoam will fowl my plugs.

How well did this work for you? I've been told SeaFoam will fowl my plugs.
I doubt you'll get an answer as that post was from 2006. Seafoam will not foul your plugs if you use a little bit each fill up in the gas. If you do the "shock" treatment by dumping a whole can into the gas tank it may dislodge too much carbon and sludge at once to burn up easily. Then you may see a fouled plug. Are you burning oil?

I doubt you'll get an answer as that post was from 2006. Seafoam will not foul your plugs if you use a little bit each fill up in the gas. If you do the "shock" treatment by dumping a whole can into the gas tank it may dislodge too much carbon and sludge at once to burn up easily. Then you may see a fouled plug. Are you burning oil?
Thank you, yes I'm consuming about 1/2 quart per 200 miles.

Thank you, yes I'm consuming about 1/2 quart per 200 miles.
Yeah, I do as well. I find it happens when I do a lot of high speed runs and push the sled hard. The advice about when to check the oil level is good information. At the end of the season I'll put seafoam in the oil and run it 100 or so miles before changing.

Back