• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2003 Rx-1 MTN Questions

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2003 Yamaha RX-1 Mountain
So I bought a 2003 rx-1 showing 160 miles on the odo.

Upon inspection, I noticed two pieces of insulation under the hood looked like they had been peeled off (possibly melted/burned, but it didn't look like it). Other than that, the sled looked like it had 160 miles. It started up easy, sounded good, new fluids. Track in pristine condition. Skis looked basically new.

Being a new sled owner I figured I should make sure I could change the belt before I took it out. So, in my garage I took the belt off and put it back on. I thought the belt seemed a little loose upon putting it back on, but I didn't think much of it.

Took the sled out, warmed it up, and drove it a very short distance before hearing something squeaking. Nothing squeaked when it wasn't moving, so I can only imagine it was the belt. I kept riding the sled, going about 30 with two riders, and the squeaking came and went but wasn't too apparent.

Brought the sled to a stop and then all of a sudden it started smoking. Turned it off, smoking stopped. A little fluid dripping from the bottom of the engine compartment but not more than a few drips. It was a relatively warm day and we were riding on a road, so I figure the sled overheated. Ice scratchers were not down.

Turned the sled back on, and now it won't move. Rev'd the engine and it seemed like the front end of the sled was lifting up a little bit, but no track movement. Quite a bit of smoke when it rev'd too. The secondary clutch does not spin.

So, my questions are:

1. Is the smoke likely just from overheating? I haven't started it up since it broke because it's quite loud and I haven't been home at a reasonable hour to do that since Sunday.

2. Why isn't the track spinning at all? I would suspect a chain issue but it seems weird because the sled was working before I brought it to a stop.

3. Is there any way this thing had 160 miles on it or did I just fall for it?

sounding like you where running in marginal snow. they will overheat in those conditions. also sounds like you melted the slider plastic to the track clips, hence why it will not move. the scratchers down would have helped prevent both these issues from happening. sounding like you scored with the low milage.

So I bought a 2003 rx-1 showing 160 miles on the odo.

Upon inspection, I noticed two pieces of insulation under the hood looked like they had been peeled off (possibly melted/burned, but it didn't look like it). Other than that, the sled looked like it had 160 miles. It started up easy, sounded good, new fluids. Track in pristine condition. Skis looked basically new.

Being a new sled owner I figured I should make sure I could change the belt before I took it out. So, in my garage I took the belt off and put it back on. I thought the belt seemed a little loose upon putting it back on, but I didn't think much of it.

Took the sled out, warmed it up, and drove it a very short distance before hearing something squeaking. Nothing squeaked when it wasn't moving, so I can only imagine it was the belt. I kept riding the sled, going about 30 with two riders, and the squeaking came and went but wasn't too apparent.

Brought the sled to a stop and then all of a sudden it started smoking. Turned it off, smoking stopped. A little fluid dripping from the bottom of the engine compartment but not more than a few drips. It was a relatively warm day and we were riding on a road, so I figure the sled overheated. Ice scratchers were not down.

Turned the sled back on, and now it won't move. Rev'd the engine and it seemed like the front end of the sled was lifting up a little bit, but no track movement. Quite a bit of smoke when it rev'd too. The secondary clutch does not spin.

So, my questions are:

1. Is the smoke likely just from overheating? I haven't started it up since it broke because it's quite loud and I haven't been home at a reasonable hour to do that since Sunday.

2. Why isn't the track spinning at all? I would suspect a chain issue but it seems weird because the sled was working before I brought it to a stop.

3. Is there any way this thing had 160 miles on it or did I just fall for it?
I have many questions, the mileage is very suspect to me, it’s possible but very unlikely, if it truly has that mileage that means it’s literally been sitting for 19 years, i do more mileage than that in one typical day!has the sled been serviced recently?I know you said new fluids but if it has sat that long everything needs to be gone over.After sitting that long it would require a full service, as maim mentioned it could be stuck track slides or it could be a dry/ rusty speedo/driveshaft bearing, lift the rear& secure it& try turning the track by hand, it should require force but should rotate by hand, also you mentioned its loud? If its stock they are very quite engines unless someone changed or modified the exhaust, also you mentioned fluid dripping was it antifreeze or oil or?If you got the engine real hot you should have seen a light on the dash indicating overheat, sounds like it was burning the belt& would have smelled like rubber burning,let us know if the track turns freely or not& we can help determine where to go from there

I have many questions, the mileage is very suspect to me, it’s possible but very unlikely, if it truly has that mileage that means it’s literally been sitting for 19 years, i do more mileage than that in one typical day!has the sled been serviced recently?I know you said new fluids but if it has sat that long everything needs to be gone over.After sitting that long it would require a full service, as maim mentioned it could be stuck track slides or it could be a dry/ rusty speedo/driveshaft bearing, lift the rear& secure it& try turning the track by hand, it should require force but should rotate by hand, also you mentioned its loud? If its stock they are very quite engines unless someone changed or modified the exhaust, also you mentioned fluid dripping was it antifreeze or oil or?If you got the engine real hot you should have seen a light on the dash indicating overheat, sounds like it was burning the belt& would have smelled like rubber burning,let us know if the track turns freely or not& we can help determine where to go from there
Thanks to both of you for your help.

I think maim was right. The sliders are very melted. And the belt looks fine and does not smell burnt. Also, there was just a few drops coming from the bottom of the sled, and it wasn't oil. The light came on the dash when I stopped and it started smoking, but I didn't notice it before that.

I didn't realize how fast the sled would overheat in the conditions that day (mostly frozen snow on a warm day). I knew I was supposed to use ice scratchers but forgot.

When I said the sled was loud, I just meant it was too loud to run in the close neighborhood at 8 or 9 pm without feeling like a jerk. It sounds like other Yam 4 strokes I've heard.

I'll try and update this threat after I have some more time to get in there and fix the poor sled.

Back