• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2003 RX with MPI Supercharger, blowing gas out carbs

TonyB

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2003 Yamaha RX-1
Hi All,

My first post! I bought a 2003 RX1 at the end of last season and got to ride it once and all worked perfect. Broke it out this season and it will start but idles high and will not accelerate. I bought a carb kit and replaces the needles/seats, the Oring on the main jet, etc. and it's still running the same. With the intercooler off, I can see fuel is pouring out the front of the carbs. I have the floats set at 15mm from the carb body when turned upside down. Next I plan to T in a fuel pressure gauge to see what pressure is coming out of the regulator since it seams like the pressure is pushing the floats open. Anyone else have any ideas? I have been over the installation instructions from MPI a dozen times, checking that everything is installed properly. I have the Wide band fuel meter installed as well. Something has to be stuck or clogged from not running all summer since it ran fine last season but I am running out of clues on what to check.

I know that the FPR is boost controlled as a 1:1 rate. But when the intercooler is off, it should be at it's base, like 4-5 psi I think. There would be no boost pressure to the vents on the top of the carbs either with the intercooler off.

I have tried contacting MPI since they are somewhat local to me but haven't been able to reach anyone. Did they go out of business?

Thanks for any pointers or advice on this sled... I just want to go ride!

--Tony

I'd say the base fuel pressure is set too high, blowing past the needle and seats... In stock form they are fed by a pulse pump that doesn't have alot of pressure.

Back