• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2003 RX1 no start....

ShawnP1980

Veteran
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
Yamaha RX1
I apologize if I posted this in the wrong area new to the site.

Hopefully someone can help me figure this out, so sled has been starting and running great I started it up the other day to move it out of the garage everything was working as it should I shut it off and I would say went to start it up 8hrs later to put it back in the garage turned the key it turned over for a quick second and then nothing. Battery is new and has been on the tender to keep it up tested battery all is good, looked for broken wires nothing that I can see, put new starter solenoid still nothing checked fuses all good so now I just jumped from the positive side of the battery to the lead wire from the starter wire going from solenoid to starter and it turns over. What does this mean?? I'm stumped please help.

Thanks in advance.
Shawn.

Pop the red kill switch button up and down a couple of times then try it again

Make sure battery terminal bolts are tight enough.
He jumpered the solenoid and it cranked.
If the red kill button is down it won’t crank. If the contacts get corroded it won’t crank.

Kill switch up and down multiple times still no difference, battery terminals are tight and clean still nothing, contact's are clean.

Check for corrosion at the back of the key/ ignition switch plug,very common issue.also remove the airbox& check for a chafed or loose wire.its an intermittent issue so either corrosion,loose,chafed wire etc.

Says he jumped from the battery

Yea he jumped the solenoid and it cranked. The heavy wire going to the starter has a good connection if it cranked.
He basically jumpered the low power solenoid circuit, not the high current starter wire.
That tells me his battery connection is solid.

Thanks guys I will look at it again tomorrow afterwork. I looked at the wires under the air box didn't see nothing out of the ordinary there. I did just look at ignition plug connector there is some green corrosion there but with my voltmeter I'm showing 12v on the harness side going to the ignition plug and 12v showing on the ignition side of the plug. I also testest kill switch to some degree with tester when it's up I'm showing 12v and down 0v I'm not going to fully rule these areas out just yet until further testing. Again thanks for the help I'm hoping to get this thing figured out soon.

Yea he jumped the solenoid and it cranked. The heavy wire going to the starter has a good connection if it cranked.
He basically jumpered the low power solenoid circuit, not the high current starter wire.
That tells me his battery connection is solid.
No. If the jumper wire was touching the battery post and not the factory wire, then it doesn't rule out a poor connection there. I'm not saying this is the problem for sure, but I have often seen these tightened up with a screwdriver instead of a wrench, and it often ends up a weak connection.
In light of new information of green corrosion at the solenoid plug, I would certainly be investigating that more.

Battery bolts tighten up with a ratchet, maybe I didn't make myself clear in the last post the little bit of green corrosion that I seen was at the white plug in off of the ignition, solenoid is new and the only place I noticed the corrosion was at the white plug on the ignition. All the nuts and bolts are tight.

Battery bolts tighten up with a ratchet, maybe I didn't make myself clear in the last post the little bit of green corrosion that I seen was at the white plug in off of the ignition, solenoid is new and the only place I noticed the corrosion was at the white plug on the ignition. All the nuts and bolts are tight.
Did you test for power at the relay?

At the solenoid? Not yet as it's new but thinking this might be a bad solenoid I will be checking tonight.

You said you already replaced the solenoid/relay?

Ya but symptoms did not change so I'm thinking I might have gotten a bad solenoid it was a cheap Amazon one. No when testing this with it in the slide I should show some sort of voltage reading through it correct?

Back