• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2005 RX Warrior - Running Rough at idle RPM's!!!

mhbrush

Hello - before the year began I brought my sled in to my Yamaha dealer for a pre-season service. This week I went out for the first ride of the year.....from the fist moment, while the sled was warming up - I noticed somthing didn't sound right. At low RPMs (idle) the machine sounds life an old VW beatle or a old lawn mower, and somtimes quits. But when you rev it up, and are riding seems smoth as ever. I went to the dealer today and they are too busy to take it in - have to wait until next week.

While I was there the technician came out to listen....he adjusted the idle speed - no change. The technician ordered an O ring near the Jetting?????Not Sure.

has anyone had any similar issues? my sled has 4000 miles on it.

Responses appreciated!

Thanks,

Change the plugs. Sounds like one might be fouled if you are certain the carbs are clean.

Carbs need cleaning. probably runs fine with the choke then with no choke idle is too low and sounds like one cylinder is not fireing. If I am close, then clean the carbs.

I have the exact same problem as you my friend, except I have a Rx-1 m. Brought her to my dealer for carb cleanign and she hasn't sounded the same idling during warm up since and she sometimes quits during the warm up. Brought her back to them as Dad convinced them they screwed something up on her and if they didn't fix it there would be consequences for them, but they can't find anything wrong with her.

Update - a different dealer cleaned the carbs. Runs great, all fixed.

If in Vermont I suggest Lucky's Yamaha just off interstate 89 exit 3. They did a great job, and got me in quick....

Thanks for the replies

Classic cases of carbs needing a good cleaning. Lots of times you clean them and that only shakes things up enough to plug them right back up. Especially if you are hitting the fuel with carb cleaners. I had to clean mine three times this year.

If the idle is NOT consistent, a Pilot Jet is typically plugged or the Fuel Screws are not set correctly. I sometimes have to rod the Pilot Jets out with a wire to get the gunk out of them.

I attached some tips and instructions for carb cleaning. You are much better off doing this job yourself. I am not sure a lot of mechanics even know how to do it right. And then when they are done, even if they did a good job, if you have gunk in the fuel they will need another cleaning. So it is best to learn this yourself.

Attachments

• 04 Rx-1 Carb Exploded View Drawing.pdf
    68.5 KB · Views: 176
  • Carb Cleaning Tips and Procedure.pdf
    50 KB · Views: 217
I highly recommend Len's advice, I cleaned mine as well and it still would not run right. Had to clean again and run a twist tie wire thru the pilots and then has been working awesome since! It really isn't a hard job to do, no reason to take it to the dealer. Carbs can be off in 5 mins!

Bill

I have an 05 Warrior and I just went through the carbs this weekend and it is now idling great and the little dead spot when the throttle is first opened is gone. Big improvement.

Back