• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Dies at idle

bowtietr83

Veteran
Country
USA
Snowmobile
06' Apex GT
'18 winder will not idle. Won't start unless you Crack the throttle while cranking and then it will start but you need throttle input to keep it running.

Did the same thing last year first ride of the year, probably -20f out. Today it's high teens. Last year it cleaned up after awhile and was fine the rest of the week. Guessing it will do the same this time as well but wondering what the root cause is? Ran fine the couple other times I had it out this year. I did just put a new battery in it but it started ip fine directly after that.

Any ideas?

Do you use gas stabilizer while storing? I know my machines have always been very sensitive to stale gas. My 2021 Venture started terribly until I got through the first tank of dealer gas.

Spark plugs? There are times when mine starts on only 2 cylinders, then after a bit all 3 kick in. usually happens after driving them from the garage to the trailer, then then riding in the trailer to launch area.

Changed plugs last year, probably 800 miles since then. It's just weird that it clears up and is then fine for a few days. Seems like something electronic.

Mine did the same thing 2nd start of the year. Started fine once in the heated garage. I replaced the spark plugs and no issues since. I do new plugs every year in all of my machines. They are cheap.

I had about 200 miles on plugs when mine did same thing… I’ve changed plugs and it runs normally. Although my sled is tuned and I’m running Torco octane booster, maybe that contributed to short life span of spark plugs, I’m changing them every year regardless mileage.

Mine does NOT die at idle, but does do weird things... I changed the plugs on mine last year and gapped to .20. I am running 270SS from Hurricane, if that matters. This year, it starts right away, but the odd time if its not fully warmed up or if I shut it off it gives me a bit of a fuss to start. It tries to fire and just sputters, but it wont. Takes 2-3 cracks at it and then it starts. I dont touch the throttle at all. But when it does, it fires no problem on all 3 cylinders. Fires up no problem when cold too. Plus runs strong when its running. It just weird!

Mine does NOT die at idle, but does do weird things... I changed the plugs on mine last year and gapped to .20. I am running 270SS from Hurricane, if that matters. This year, it starts right away, but the odd time if its not fully warmed up or if I shut it off it gives me a bit of a fuss to start. It tries to fire and just sputters, but it wont. Takes 2-3 cracks at it and then it starts. I dont touch the throttle at all. But when it does, it fires no problem on all 3 cylinders. Fires up no problem when cold too. Plus runs strong when its running. It just weird!
Have you tried gapping the plugs back to factory spec? Mine is acting the same way after gapping the plugs to the tighter gap like you.

No, I was actually thinking of putting them back to spec or at least maybe halfway. ie..23 or .24. I think stock was like .28-30?

When I spoke with Dave I asked him about plug gap and he said the tunes were built using the factory plug gap.

When I spoke with Dave I asked him about plug gap and he said the tunes were built using the factory plug gap.
That's different, because TD says to change the gap on the bigger tunes. I run 240-270SS as the 300 is just hard to find 93 Octane in order for it to run safe. I think when I change them in the spring that I will leave them stock or at least make sure they are gapped to Yamaha spec.

Next time out in the garage I am going to gap mine back to factory spec. Hope is runs better down low then.

Back