• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2005 RX1 Mono Shock Suspension Durability Results

I hope something is done as well. I have rode a total of 495 mi this year. This is a total of 5 times out in good conditions. A poor year for me, the least riding in over 20 years.

I had the misfortune of getting something wedged between the track and front heat exchanger and cracked the heat exchanger. When I removed the skid and track to fix it, I was surprised to find what I consider extreme wear. The hyfax was close to shot in the area of the bottoming out bumpers near the center of the rails while the rest of the hyfax wear seems close to normal. The pivot bushings were wore much worse than i've seen on the pro-action skid after 5000 mi. The spacers within the bushings were badly scored. there are cracks in the paint with rust present at many of the weld joints.

I will defiantly be bringing this back to the dealer for warranty claims. There is no way this can be considered normal wear and tear. If it is, Yamy's reliability ranking just fell to #4. On a normal year I ride 4000+ miles, This would mean that I would be expected to rebuild the suspension and replace hyfax several times a year.

Replaced bushings at 1773 miles and put zerks in. This past weekend I noticed a crack in the front pivot arm allmost all the way around and the rear inner wheels are gone it has allmost 3000 miles on it now.

I had greatly accelerated hyfaxgwear ( 4 sets of HyFax in 2200 miles) and say all you want about low snow etc... nobody I was riding with was wearing them out in 500 miles. Dealer put on a hyfax wheel kit under warranty, and it did wonders for it. Last set has 1000 miles on them and still going.

All my W-Arm bushings are gone, RA Cable broke (Fixed myself) boot is torn. The skid works awesome, just needs some attention to make it live. Oh yea, my W-Arm is showing signs it will break (paint chipping off around the welds) I will probably just box in the one I have and re-enforce it. I don't care if I add 10lbs of steel to it, I want to have a more durable one.

I have a set of highly durable AMCO bronze bushings in the works for my sled, and I had no idea the Yammy ones are so expensive. I was looking at all the bushings for the W-arm to be between $75 and $100 in the Amco. If anyone is interested email me (david.beam@sbcglobal.net) and I can make more sets.

Dave

Almost,
How can you be paying $68 for a wheel, when they are about $22 U.S.? The bearings are about $10. Are you breaking the wheels, also.

In my opinion, anyone that has that much trouble is abusing the sled.

RX1 Yooper,

The 05 and 06 wheels are a new design. The wheels are moulded around the bearings and the bearings can't be changed. They retail for $68 Cdn each at my dealer. Since they've been failing so quickly, Yamaha has been covering them under warranty - but next year I'll be on my own (even if I buy the YES plan I've been told they won't cover the wheels/bearings).

The main problem I'm having is the bearings are going very quickly (1000 kms or 600 miles before they turn very rough - by 3000 kms the bearings are so bad I can move the tip of each wheel back and forth around 1/4"). I have also (in 10,000 kms) had two wheels themselves that needed replacing (the bearings were shot as well). Interestingly I'm still on the original set of rear axle bearings (and wheels) and they are still good. I've heard suggestions that the reason the idler bearings are failing so quickly is the wheels are much harder than the older designs and the vibrations are transmitted right into the bearings.

Someone told me a couple of days ago that the Yamaha accessory colored wheels have both a rubber outer portion and the bearings are replaceable. If that's the case I'll be running those next year. My dealer sells the bearings for $5 each. If I want to buy direct from a local bearing distributor I can buy them for $3 each.

How do we find out what exactly the YES warranty covers? I'm seriously thinking about buying it, but if it good for the engine only, it may not be worth the hassle or $$.

cobalt650, My understanding is it's supposed to cover everything the original 1 year warranty does. There is a limitation on mileage though (20,000 kms in Canada I think).

The main problem though is bearings, along with many other things are considered "wear items" and are officially not covered. Yamaha has only been covering them because of the extremely rapid failure and will only do that for the first year.

YES should cover things like cracked w-arms and cracked rails - as long as Yamaha doesn't feel the problem is due to abuse or a "sudden impact". It will also cover the engine, but not the clutches.

To be certain you should read up on the YES plan (I'm going from memory and have already decided the plan won't really help me - I already asked about the idlers and was told no).

Guys go to the Yamaha website and complain to customer relations. When enough do this things will happen. Fix it so you can ride it but compalin about it so they know it is a problem.

You know this is bull sh$t, reminds me of the days i rode polaris. If everone of you that has this problem would call email and lean on your dealer they should see they have a problem. if you dont let them know how will they find out. a good dealer should be on top of this. I loved my 04 warrior till it started on fire.I have 06 attak on way hope they fix all this BS b4 they build the 06's. Guys call fax email again and again they need to know about this.Everyone needs to work togeather on this if your dealers wont help you out it may be time to find a new dealer. when my polaris dealer i didnt know how to ride i bought a vmaxxt600 the next winter i sold my 4 polaris units and bought yamahas.

The lack of suspension durability is the reason most of the old farts are cancelling their 06's and are going with the Polaris turbo. After evaluating the 06's we feel they have not addressed the problem to our satisfaction.

The sleds are bullet proof except for the rear suspension and the front A arms. We all had rail failures and H arms break multipal times. Several of us had A arms failures. Yamaha said they have excess mileage on them there for it is a normal wear item. Others with lower mileage were not under warranty because they had been welded during bagger trips or when replacement parts were not available in a timely manner.

Typically the problems began at 2000 miles. Mine has 9473 miles and both the rails and H arms need replacement for the third time.

scooby, i rode my 2000 srx 8000 miles never brooke any suspension parts and it cost alot less than 10 G's they need to pull there heads out of there a$$ and find a fix!.?

I just went through my 2005 RX suspension and I have orderd $178 in parts. Thats replacing all the bushings collar's, a boggy wheel and the boot over the AR cable.

I found that all the boggy wheels were dry--no grease and they looked like they never had any grease in them, so I cleaned them and regreased.

Thats with 5320 miles.

I highly recomend that everyone pull there suspension and check it out.

Back