• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2005 RX1 Mono Shock Suspension Durability Results

I have 5320 miles on my 2005 RX-1er and I pulled my skid to check it and found NO cracks. However all the idler wheel bearings looked like they were NOT greased at all, are lose and require replacing.

Also have to replace all the bushings, which is normal for Yamaha at this milage. Thats compared to the past Yamaha's that I have had and they all required replacing after 4000 to 6000 miles.

I understand that Yamaha is replacing the plastic wheels with ones that are rubber coated to cut some of the track noise for the 2006 models.

A few relevant links to tie this all together:

A recent discussion on w-arm cracks from all years:
http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php?t=4164

A discussion about 2005 RX-1 suspensions with paint flaking off at many weld locations as well as a 2005 w-arm failure, breaking at the transfer rod connection shaft:
http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php?t=12996

A poll and discussion that currently shows approximately 30% of RX-1 respondents (all years) have had w-arm failures:
http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php?t=7576

Another discussion on w-arm failures and driveshaft bearing failures:
http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php?t=13342

Another w-arm failure discusion and some info on the loads that are applied to the w-arms:
http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php?t=6206

A thread discussing grease fitting installation and a couple of low mileage 2005 RX-1 cracked w-arms (2400 kms and 1900 kms):
http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php?t=6422

A 2005 RX-1 cracked slide rail thread:
http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php?t=12873

Another 2005 RX-1 cracked slide rail thread with pictures:
http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php?p=112940

A thread on premature bushing wear:
http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php?t=11964

A solution that a fellow TY'er is opting for with his 2005 RX-1 -> 10 reinforcement gussets, grease fittings, custom bushings, etc.
http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php?p=120048#120048

ReX said:
steve 05 RX-1,

The slide rail cracks look exactly like all the others I've seen, including mine (a little hard to see in the picture - the "smile" just under the middle idler nut).

It's interesting that the pivot arm cracks are different than mine (the 4 others I've seen/heard details about cracked just like mine did too). The one arm that disconnected on one side did have a crack similar to yours, but I believe I must have driven it at least 500 kms (300 miles) with the one side disconnected.

Are there no cracks on the lower u-brackets?

Did you find your suspension bottomed out a lot?

How many miles? Rider weight?

I think this information will help us and/or Yamaha (I'm sure they are quietly reading this) beef up the arms as required. Next year one way or another I do not intend to loose any sledding time due to a broken pivot arm.

Thanks for the pictures. Anyone else with pictures of cracked pivot arms?

There are no cracks in the U brackets

I dont bottom out too much as im constantly adjusting the RA,too the point my buddys make fun of me by pretending to adjust their suspension even though they have no adjustments :D Id like to find someone to change the valving so that it firms up alot faster towards the end of the travel,maybee even a duel rate rear spring.

Ive got just under 3000 miles on it and I weigh 220 lbs run the preload on max,never moved the c clip.

When i called my dealer he said the pivot arms are on a nationwide back order so im assuming that yamaha is in the process of updating them.Im going to wait till aug or sept to take sled to dealer so I can get all the updates done.Im still waiting on the pins and bushings for the lower front pivot arm.

Shortly after picking up my 05 RX-1 I was asking about a variable rate spring being available. Nothing has been available yet.

However, if you look on page 15 of the 06 Yamaha Snowmobile catalog you'll see in "image C" that the mono-suspension is pictured with a variable rate spring installed.

The variable rate spring is also shown on page 4.

Maybe it will be stock or available in 06.

Another potential update: looking on page 4 again, the slide rails on the RTX "pounding" accross the bottom of the page look taller between the rear idlers and the rear axle as well as having the rail reinforcement kit installed between the rear idlers and front pivot arm (w-arm).

The Vector on page 15 also has the taller rails and the reinforcement kit.

(credit for pointing out the taller rails goes to RX1-er-2005)

For those following this thread: I created a poll looking to get feedback on what we are looking for as far as suspension durability is concerned.

http://www.rx1.info/viewtopic.php?t=13529

Please vote. I'm very confident that Yamaha will at least read it, so this is another mechanism to voice what we are looking for.

Attachments

• blandat 064.jpg
    blandat 064.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 88
i was just looking at the prototype at garys yamaha in caribou maine .the rep is up here with an apex er and an attak,the rails cracking by the middle wheel now has a gusset on each side from w-arm mount back to middle wheel to strangthen it and all pivot poins have grease fittings so that should help this problem,demo rides tomorrow on long lake in st agatha maine,maybe all weekend if the weather holds

Red2003 said:
Almost RX1,

I think the weight of the Yamahas really works against them in the suspension dept. All that weight bouncing up and down is bound to break stuff if you ride hard enough. Are you bottoming the suspension? I have found that if you bottom it, even once it starts to tear stuff apart. Tough to get a decent ride and still have enough travel in reserve for the big stuff on these heavy machines.

I think its just poor engineering. RX-1s weigh close to what the Cat tripples weighed, and the only problem I ever had with even my old '95 skid was a blown shock when my crazy friend jumped it about 15 feet in the air and came down on only about a foot of snow. After seeing how the '05s AREN'T holding up, I'm more glad than ever that I installed a Cat skid. My wife's Cat has 5000+ miles on the original skid which has never been out, and all bearings and bushings are in great shape. Then again, Cat uses metal instead of plastic. Plastic bushings on a $10-$11,000 sled...can anyone say JOKE???

Jim

Re: looks like i'm not the only one

ReX said:
Another thing that really pisses me off is Yamaha still insists I'm the only one in Canada with 05 suspension problems every time I talk to customer service. I had been keeping things relatively quiet (like Scooby and many others) but this too much. I personally have met or spoken to at least 6 others while riding or on the phone with broken w-arms and slide rails.

Don't feel bad. Yamaha customer service always insisted that I was the only one using any oil except for modified sleds. Its their standard cop-out. I don't understand why they even bring up that subject though...I don't care if I WAS the only one having a problem, if its a problem and its under warranty, it SHOULD BE FIXED!

Jim

Sled Dog said:
zoomzoom said:
I snow checked a Apex but after listening to you guys I'm really concerned of my decision.
They will have them fixed for 06 I would not worry. Grease fittings is the key here they really screwed up by not installing the zerts in the 05 but they will have them for 06.

O.K., my last reply on this thread for now, but I had to speak out about this one. ARE YOU KIDDING? When the '03s were using oil and breaking W arms, people said they would be fixed for '04. Finally in '05 changes were made to the rings and a new skid installed. Some '05s are now using oil, and the '05 skids have NO GREASE FITTINGS and still have plastic bushings. This sure doesn't sound like an improvement to me. On top of that the '05 W arms are breaking, and now some are seeing rail failures. DON'T WORRY? I was pissed at Yamaha service before, but I thought they had awesome sleds. Well the more I gave it rational thought, I think I just liked the IDEA of the sled because I always thought it would be awesome to put a bike motor in a sled. Even after my experiences with Yamaha service I was still interested in buying my wife a Vector for next season, but a used one to avoid Yamaha's joke of a warranty that they don't stand behind anyway, and save some money while doing it. Well the Vectors are having problems also, and the '05s are having problems, so obviously they can't get it right.

I always wondered why none of the other manufacturers haven't started putting bike engines in sleds to compete. Well I have a theory...maybe because if Yamaha can't get the sleds to work right, why should they try the same thing?

I LOVE the "idea" of my RX-1. It had awesome power in what should have been a raliable package. But as a trail rider, I want reliability. Obviously I need to give up some of the power and go with another brand since Yamaha can't get the reliability right even after several years. Its too bad, too, because the '06s seemed very comfortable to ride and could be awesome sleds...if we could count on reliability for well over $10,000.

Jim

NHRXRider - The reason they do this kind of thing is that it is standard practice in the snowmobile business. All 4 mfg's. do the same thing. Doo rings do not last 3,000 miles,Polaris has the Fusion and Cat has the Firecat. As long as all us consumers continue to allow them to stick it to us year after year, they will continue. If you could have a business where the consumer pays to be your R&D department you probably would. Then we even buy hats and jackets to let everyone know who we pay to R&D for.

With these peices falling off the skid Yamaha is going to get the same reputation as cat for pieces being left on trail. Wheels gone because of bearing failure, peices of aluminum rail with wheels attached. Not good for the reputation is it.

Why Yamaha is keeping us in the Dark? :o| The only thing they should do, is to come forward and officialy send us a letter or post some thing on this site to let us know whats going on. :rocks:

I went to the '06 show last night. Talked at great length to the suspension expert. He said they were unaware of any suspension issues except pivot arm bushings(which updated style is available) and RA cable. He said an improved cable design is coming. He also said a grease fitting update will be made for '05 with instructions for dealers on where to locate fittings. Didn't say if Yamaha was covering this but I told him I already paid to get it done. He hadn't heard of pivot arms breaking, '06 models will have the same one. I said there are many on web who have had breakage. One dealer chimed in and said there's your problem(internet). Sure won't buy a sled from him! I guess he feels we are all making up the problems we have. Fortunately my sled broke at end of season, parts still on back order though. Glad the snow isn't still around.

Back