• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2005 RX1 Mono Shock Suspension Durability Results

Is all this that you guys discussing on the REAR SKID only? Anything to look at on the front A arms? I guess I am a bit confused as you guys are talking about A arms AND W arms...
Just trying to be prepared when I yank mine apart this weekend. Thanks for the pics Rex. They are really close up so I am trying to determine where this is at on the sled. I am assuming on the rear skid?
Thanks you guys. Maybe it's time to trade in on an 06 if they have updated this skid. I am always learly of first year ANYTHING, but I rode one and had to have it!

I want an '06 for every reason other than the damn skid issues were dealt with in '05. If they didn't address it for '06 I'll be ticked and very open to let the reps know about it. i hope Yamahas new meaning of "RELIABLE" doesn't mean I have to inspect my suspension with a magnifying glass for cracks and stress marks every 100 miles on a "Rough Trail Xtreme" Apex because of where and how I ride!! :o|

I just ordered a 06 vector er so I could get the mono suspension.I heard so many good things about its ride quality and easy adjustments to ride preference.Now I hear about all the broken parts and its got me leary.You would certianly think that if their going to use it in the rtx it would have to be built stronger than the 05's. I pull my 01 polaris edge suspension out every year to inspect and it looks as good as the day I brought it home.No wear to be found, just grease and go.

The good news is that we have each other to rely on next year if any issues do start to arise with the 06s ;)!

zoomzoom said:
The good news is that we have each other to rely on next year if any issues do start to arise with the 06s ;)!

Isnt it good to know we are being used as guinea pigs. Yamaha has to step up to plate on this one.

Has anybody got feed back from dealers regarding all of these problems...how is everybody getting treated...positive or negative feedback?

Rumors has it that YAMIE is looking to upgrade?

Somebody must have some good news...YAMAHA must be reading all of this @@#$% :o|

So far my dealer is quite aware of all these problems. They are hoping that the replacement parts ... when they finally arrive, will be updated parts. meaning front pivot arm with zerks and rails with some reinforcement. As far as the idlers, Yamaha is calling it a "one time warranty". Perhaps some of the after market folks will have a chance over the off season to develop a few trick parts at a fair price to make this skid what it needs to be.

Heres where my pivot arm cracked

Attachments

• pivot arm crack.jpg
    pivot arm crack.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 218
  • rail crack.jpg
    rail crack.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 183
The black on the rails is grease,I grease it alot now that I have zerks.Also notice the polaris idler wheels on the front,I swapped the yamaha front into the rear because I had none there any more and wanted to ride one last ime this year.

steve 05 RX-1,

The slide rail cracks look exactly like all the others I've seen, including mine (a little hard to see in the picture - the "smile" just under the middle idler nut).

It's interesting that the pivot arm cracks are different than mine (the 4 others I've seen/heard details about cracked just like mine did too). The one arm that disconnected on one side did have a crack similar to yours, but I believe I must have driven it at least 500 kms (300 miles) with the one side disconnected.

Are there no cracks on the lower u-brackets?

Did you find your suspension bottomed out a lot?

How many miles? Rider weight?

I think this information will help us and/or Yamaha (I'm sure they are quietly reading this) beef up the arms as required. Next year one way or another I do not intend to loose any sledding time due to a broken pivot arm.

Thanks for the pictures. Anyone else with pictures of cracked pivot arms?

zoomzoom said:

To me the good news is:

- The skid works awesomely (at least with the stiffer spring and my 210-215 lbs) - ride, bump handling, stutter bumps, landings from a little air, etc.
- The fundamental design is very functional, highly adjustable, and easy to adjust
- From an engineering perspective it's 99% in good shape (beefing up a couple of parts is a piece of cake)
- The rest of the sled is fantastic, especially the powertrain
- Even if Yamaha was to let us down (I won't be impressed if they do) and leave us with a failure prone pivot arm, we only need to beef them up and we'll have awesome, reliable, fuel efficient, fast, comfortable, non-stinky sleds (I'm assuming they will at least provide us with new reinforced rails and idlers with bearings that can be changed).

To me the worst parts to this whole problem are:

- Having our sleds non-functional over a large portion of the winter
- Parts being back ordered so we can't even fix them
- Having to argue to get what should be covered under warranty covered
- Taking 3 years to convince the wife that buying a brand new 4-stroke Yamaha will reduce the time & money I spend fixing my sled, buying that dream sled for close to $15,000 Cdn, and then spending just as much time fixing it, researching problems on the net and taking it back to the dealer over and over
- and - Having our sleds non-functional over a large portion of the winter!!!

Realistically I can't see how Yamaha could ship the 06's without beefing the suspension up substantially (especially the pivot arm and idlers - they've already fixed the rest). With their new marketing trying to grab more of the aggressive rider market share they would be shooting themselves in the foot if they left it as is. Yamaha is too smart to do that.

Hopefully they'll do the right thing and fix our 05 sleds up as well.

I had another look at my cracked pivot arm pictures. It turns out the crack that looks similar, looks exactly the same as steve 05 RX-1's.

I always thought this must have happened after the one side disconnected (this is on the side still attached), but it's probably an area that needs to be beefed up too.

I've also read on these forums that some pivot arms have failed somewhere near where the weight transfer rod attaches (allowing the rod to disconnect). Anyone with pictures of this?

Here's a picture of the crack identical to steve 05 RX-1's:

Attachments

• Other crack.jpg
    Other crack.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 194
I have emailed the link to this thread to Consumer releations Yamaha Canada and recieved an email stating my concerns were noted. So rest assured that they know about the problems of this skid. So keep posting what is happening to this skid so they can fix it gentleman. Now is the time before the 06 are built.

I have checked mine over with a fine tooth comb and did not see any cracks thus far but there is less than 500 miles on this unit. The howl is a problem with my 121 it gives Musher Mama a headache and her ears ring for hours after riding it. I rode it myself and it is definetly louder than my 151 mountain. The howl is coming from the track and it should not be any louder than a mountain this 121 is much louder.

Back