• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2005 RX1 TRACK NOISE

YAMABOY

Hi got a 2005 rx1er about 1,000 miles on it,their is a loud howling noise from the track,is this normal or is their anyway to get rid of the noise maybe by changing the slides? anyone else have this problem. :Rockon: :

My sled made the howl noise to the point that I wear ear plugs. I am going to put on the new rubber wrapped wheels to see if it goes away.

The bummer is that according to some on this board they are having the wheels and other updates done by their dealer as warrenty issues, my dealer says I will have to pay for anything other than the RA cable update.

If the wheels do not take care of the noise I am going to buy an Ipod. lol

YAMABOY, have a look at the RS section there are lots of posts on the track noise there, including posts about the RX-1.

Essentially noone has really figured out what makes the noise so bad on some sleds. Mine was also very noisy. I'm eager to find out if the noise will be gone this season with the new studded track.

I changed all of my idlers to rubber and no change it still howls...I do agree by changing slides the sound does go away for a few 100 kilometers...whats the true cure to this? I don't think any of us knows...is it a harmonising sound that sorts of happenns as you ride I don't know!

I rode my buddies Venture w/144" 1.25" ripsaw and all what you could here was the skies in the snow as smooth as $#%@&,so I cant figure this one out? :o|

Which rubber idlers did you use?

I found the rubberized idlers (similar to 06 style) cut the sound level down, but didn't eliminate it.

New slides fixed the sound 100% but only for about a day of riding.

I think the answer I have seen that makes the most sense to me is that the sound is from the wheels running over the support rods in the track. As the hyfax wear, there is more pressure on these wheels against the track, so the noise gets louder. This is why when you go faster the noise gets less. The wheels simply don't have time to fall between each rod the way they do at slower speeds. It's just a guess, but a pretty educated guess. What I can't stand is when someone says something like, "You only hear it because the sled is so quiet" That is complete BS!!! This noise is louder than any 2 stroke engine I have ever owned!!

I agree with everything said. I have an 03 shorty with the stock track and it howls aweful from about 15 - 30 mph. Goes away completely at about 60. I have the rubber wheels and everything is tight in the suspension. New hyfax fixed the problem for about 400 miles. When the noise came back, there was not noticable wear of the hyfax. Dunno, but it is annoying as hell when riding slow on the trails. Also last year we postulated it might be the stock tracks closed windows vibrating on the hyfax (rubber vibrating against plastic). Anyone got the howl with a fully clipped track?

It is possible that the sliders are a little too long and the track clips are catching on the sliders when the track goes around the rear idler wheel. I would lift up the back end and rotate the track to see if this is the problem. good luck

Back