• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Mtx track noise

Chartzy

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2016 viper MTX LE
Hey everyone, running a 2016 Yamaha viper 153 3” with the mpi 190 kit, went for a small rip today and noticed a lot of track noise. It sounds like the track is rubbing on the tunnel or somewhere, mostly heard when I’m off the throttle coasting to a stop, and around 40kmh, sometimes can be heard no matter the speed or how much throttle I’m putting into it. I’ve looked around and can’t see any visible marks in the tunnel where it could be rubbing, the track is straight and niether edges are showing wear from rubbing the tunnel sides. The sliders look new, and the tension is ok (maybe a little tight but nothing crazy). I’m new to this sled, and it only has 1000km, I’ve maybe put on 150km so far since I bought it so don’t know much about them. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Or is it just normal on these sleds?
Thanks everyone

Could be worn/damaged driver's. I would check the extrovert teeth on the driver's for any unusual wear, sometimes they can get heat damaged from a combination of high horsepower and low snow conditions.
The drivers have a bit of wear, nothing that I wouldn’t call normal though they look almost new, few scuffs here and there, but nothing is rounded out and doesn’t look worn down. I can try and get some pictures after this weekend to show, but to me they look good

After a good few days of riding, I let the sled do its thing and make its own noises. Got it back into the shop today to do a once over, found that me drivers wore and chewed out over a few hundred km. Now I’m just not sure why, or how to fix it. All the wear looks like the track clips are chewing the driver, only on the left side and it’s on the inside, track is running too far to the left up front. So I made a bunch of adjustments and ran the track, it seems that no matter how crooked or straight I have it running towards the middle/ rear it’s always crooked up front on the drivers, I’m hoping to leave tomorrow on another short trip with the sled, so I set it up for 1-3/4” sag 20lbs force pulling down, and have it running dead straight on the rear.
At this rate, I’ll need new drivers by the end of the season, but I want to figure out why it’s running so crooked up front first. Everything in the skid is nice and tight, and I’m not getting any excessive play on any of my idlers or front shaft so I’m at a loss now

Back