• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2005 Vector Carb Cleaning

I don't know about resources but when I had a carb issues on my Rage all I did was remove and clean the pilot jets. The pilot jets have really small hole in them on the 4 strokes. I didn't even remove the carbs from the sled. Just removed the float bowels and pulled he pilot jets. G.B.

hi! were you able to put it "bowl up" ? or you had the bowls facing down?

Ditto what Gone Blue said - the pilot jets are the main concern. My 05' went several years without issue but probably due to the change is gas quality has required cleaning the last two years (rough idle). I just did it today to get it over with for the coming season. They looked Ok though. Funny, I was going to start a topic about this - holding a pilot jet up to a light and looking into the end - it doesn't look like a round hole - is this an optical illusion? The passage seems to have an odd shape but the shape does not rotate if I rotate the jet - must be my eyes but would be fun to know if anyone else sees the same thing.
I noticed the exact same thing when holding the jet up to the light. The hole wasn't round. I wasn't sure if I left some crud behind, but all the jets looked that way, so I figured that was just the way they were, optical effect or not.

I noticed the exact same thing when holding the jet up to the light. The hole wasn't round. I wasn't sure if I left some crud behind, but all the jets looked that way, so I figured that was just the way they were, optical effect or not.

is it possible to take the bowls off and clean jets with the carb still on the sled. if i'm able to remove em from the boots and put the whole rack at a 90degree upward to access the bowls... will it do a mess or am i gonna be able to JUST remove the pilot jet???

I have cleaned them on a Venture without removing the cables or taking out of the sled. You just need to pull off the rack and then lay a thick towel or something on the engine and flip everything over and pull the bowls off. There will be gas spilling, but it can be done without to much trouble.

I have cleaned them on a Venture without removing the cables or taking out of the sled. You just need to pull off the rack and then lay a thick towel or something on the engine and flip everything over and pull the bowls off. There will be gas spilling, but it can be done without to much trouble.

yeah gas spiling was my concern... since there is no gas valve, will it leak just a bit or it will empty the tank?

is it possible to take the bowls off and clean jets with the carb still on the sled. if i'm able to remove em from the boots and put the whole rack at a 90degree upward to access the bowls... will it do a mess or am i gonna be able to JUST remove the pilot jet???
Definitely. I needed to disconnect some fuel lines, carb heater connection, and a coolant line to the carbs to get enough play to rotate the carb assembly to access and remove the fuel bowls. There will be some fuel loss from the bowls, but you can drain them first from the drain screw in the bottom of the bowl. A small amount of coolant loss from the one hose(a rag should do). Now you can remove both main and pilot jets to clean.

It's just the fuel that's in the bowls is all like @thrasher said. Not a big deal unless you have a buddy looking over your shoulder smoking a cigarettte. That why a use a towel or a and old rug to soak it up.

CHANGE the pilot jets, don't try to clean them. Their cheap and cleaning them doesn't always work.

I replaced my stock 45 pilot jets with 48 pilots. I went as high as 50, but I could never get the idle right with those. The 48s are the way to go IMHO. Better cold starts and idle.

I need to clean my carbs. Will try the 48 pilots.

Any chance someone took a video on how to do this? Thanks

I was able on my Nytro to flip the carbs without disconnecting any lines. Its not perfect and its not comfortable leaning over. I tossed an old rubber floor mat to catch and loose screws and fuel. I replaced all my jets. I tried to clean them but gave up and just ordered new ones. I would also order new fuel bowl screws. They are fairly soft and are easy to wreck the heads. Runs great. Change your fuel filters too.

Back