• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2007 Vector carb questions

yamyrider

Hey guys, I am working on a 2007 Vector GT that wont idle until hot and have some questions.
Here is some background, sleds was "fixed" by apparently a Yamaha mr fix it. He replaced fuel pump and cleaned carbs which did absolutely no difference. Still rough idle and stales till very warm. We changed plugs, recleaned carbs, cleaned air filter, adjusted throttle free play and still no change.
Here's is what we did not do: open the top of the carbs to clean (ive never done these carbs upper part) did not check tensioner or possible electrical issues.
Sled runs great when warmed up and past 1/4 throttle. Can ride all day.
What does part #7 do and is part #5 pilot screw set an adjustment for idle mixture.
If we try to turn up idle a little we get an idle hang and if we turn it down ever so slight it stales out.
Any thoughts or suggestions?
Thanks.

1676048855137.png

The first thing I would do is a carb sync as Sumpbuster suggested.
If that doesn't fix it, then do a leakdown test on each cylinder.
I had a sled like this behaving just like yours and it was exhaust valves gone bad on one cylinder.

They were not synced
A friend who bought one of my rx1s years ago went to adjust the idle up a hair, turned the wrong screws and it never idled right after that until they were synced (easier to spell balanced). I had my Vector done by Excel before selling it, as I dont have the vacuum setup tool. Bike shops do. Ran like new after 8000 miles. But cold blooded for sure.

Before syncing carbs I want to make sure they are clean. Do people normally take apart the top of the carb to clean if its only idle speed that it not working properly. And if the pilot screw an air/fuel mixture adjustment.

Back