• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2007 VK 1000 pulling power

Shanevk

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2007 Vk 1000
Hi guys,

I've seen a few pictures of VKs pulling large loads and wanted to get opinions on my VK's ability to pull an ice skid. I am having a ice fishing shack built out of aluminium and will weigh roughly 1000lbs with all the equipment in it. The skis are covered in HDPE so it should glide pretty good. Was wondering if this sort of weight would be hard on my 2007 VK 1000? Trips might be upwards of 20 miles into some lakes.

If you runt the sled in low gear, there will be no problem at all. Maybe you should stud your track thou. You have those studs that you screw in to the lugs that could be very effective on the ice.
And if you run on hard packed/ice a lot you can wire your radiator fan to run all the time to prevent over heating.

Ok, what speed can I expect to get out of low gear? Would it pull it in high gear?

I would go in low gear in the terrain and maybe high on the ice. I would not go any faster than 30 km/h in low gear. If you could go that fast, then high gear is more suitable.

FYI I have a used auxiliary rad and fan that I pulled off a vk. It gets plumbed in series with existing radiator. Was a Yamaha option.

Back