• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2009 RS Venture GT blows ign. fuse

Dolonen

Country
Norway
Snowmobile
2009 RS Venture GT
Hi, My RS Venture is popping the ign. fuse. I was riding my Venture with a bad battery to get it down from the mountain to replace the battery. Suddenly the instruments started flashing and all went black, drove a little longer hoping to get home, but shortly after the sled died and no responce on the key. Got towed home and changed the battery, but still it was dead. found that the ign. fuse was blown. Changed the fuse and when i turned the key, the fuse popped again. Have torn everything apart and tried to find some wires shorting out but cant find anything in the engine area. Measured the handwarmer and the emg. stop and they seem to be OK. What should i be lookin at next ? im all out of ideas at the moment.

Maybe a bad coil? Try unplugging them all and see if the fuse still pops. Or the ECU? I'm not sure what the IGN fuse powers. Schematics should tell.

Tried to unplug all the connectors in the engine area, still popping fuses. Also unplugged all relays in the footrest area still the same result. I checked the wireharness and tripple checked again, can not se any place where it should be shorting out to ground. I will try to unplug the ECU also, maybe thats the problem. Do you know if anything on the ign. fuse run to the back of the venture ? only place i havent looked yet...

Well it was the ECU, finally located the fault. So not the cheap fix i was hoping for :( Thanks for the help, i would never think that the ECU had failed. Never had that happened to any of my snowmobiles.

It sucks that it was the ECU but at least you found it. Check with Barn of Parts. He's a site supporter and may be able to supply you another one much cheaper than new. And he's fair on shipping charges.
https://www.barnofparts.com/

The part # is 8HF-8591A-00-00. My searches say they fit only 2009 to 2011 RS Venture GT. The cheapest new one I could find online was here:
https://www.partzilla.com/product/y...iWPYaD_vNRH9_m2svOzbIIwZJdbmhAeBoCNxAQAvD_BwE
However, check with Port Yamaha, also a site supporter as he usually can either match or beat other prices.
https://portyamaha.com

Good luck.

Well it was the ECU, finally located the fault. So not the cheap fix i was hoping for :( Thanks for the help, i would never think that the ECU had failed. Never had that happened to any of my snowmobiles.
How did you determine that it is the ECU? Did you try another ECU in it and that one did not blow the fuse?

He disconnected it and the fuse didn't blow.

ground blocks all checked good?

Would be worth a check. Haven't heard anything back from the OP @Dolonen .

Hi sorry i havent been logged in for a while. Crazy times all over the world now. I unplugged the connector going out of the ECU turned the key and it blow the fuse. Then i tried to unplug the connector going in to the ECU turn the key and the fuse was ok. Before that i unplugged all connectors and relays so the last thing to try was the ECU. Got one used ECU from a scrapyard for as little as 90 dollars. He probably did not know what he had, and i was not going to tell him Put the used ECU in and everything works perfect

But now i got a problem with the speedsensor. Checked the bearing its ok, but no reading on the speedo. and codes 42 and 84. The sled had been outside in a storm so i suspect some connector full of water. Still lots of snow here and hoping for a full good month og driving before summer. I had the sled for 10 years with no problems, seems like its time to trade in for a new one now.

Last edited:

Back