• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2010 Nytro mtx hitting limiter a lot in loose powder

russellrox

Extreme
I just took my new to me nytro mtx for a rip today, was riding in some pure powder drifts that were 3 feet deep, was hitting the rev limiter a lot, topped out at 9300, Machine has 2000km on it, belt has like 300 km on it. Not sure if the snow was too loose and letting engine overrev, There was a lot of ice underneath the snow also, only mods are a mbrp pipe and fuel pressure was turned up, other than that it's stock. Any idea's

That's how I set my sled up. Just learn to use throttle control in loose or frozen snow. In heavy snow or deep powder hill climbing it wont be able do this.
I would wait for different snow conditions because this is a huge factor in clutching.

kilometers said:
That's how I set my sled up. Just learn to use throttle control in loose or frozen snow. In heavy snow or deep powder hill climbing it wont be able do this.
I would wait for different snow conditions because this is a huge factor in clutching.

Should be it was purchased in saskatchewan, and used in saskatchewan.

pro116 said:
I have bought mtn sleds at sea level and they always where set up for altitude.

X2

Usually the mountain sleds come from Yamaha set up for 10,000 feet, while the short tracks are set up for sea level.
Then the dealer sets it up correctly for your elevation. Some dealers charge extra for this, while others will include it in the sled deal at the time of purchase.

When I bought my sled it was set up for mountain elevations. I bought sled in Sask as well. Dealer should have told you what elevation it was set up for.

towerrigger said:
When I bought my sled it was set up for mountain elevations. I bought sled in Sask as well. Dealer should have told you what elevation it was set up for.

I am wondering if the belt drying out or something like that sitting over the year in storage could cause this, we had a ton of freezing rain before the snow, so it's all ice underneath. Maybe once the snow firms up this won't be a issue.

I've had issues on really deep pow days with snow packing on the vent above the cluches then melting and soaking the belt causing it to slip and over rev, Have also noticed this while sidehilling(clutch side up) and carving(clutch side down) in the deep stuff it will pack up by your boot then filter into the secondary through the slotted vents, frog skins or something similar would be a good fix... even if it isn't your entire problem, it helps if you ride in quality blower.

If you were bashing drifts check your side panel under your clutch. It could be split open and allowing snow to hit the clutches causing your belt to slip and subsequently over-rev your motor.

Concur with MtnViper, Yamaha ships their MTX set up for elevation. If you want to run it close to sea level, you can purchase a sea-level kit from Yamaha, which includes a new primary spring/chain/sprocket, and they are not cheap. $800 maybe

But they work awesome. I never over rev, and they are pretty effortless in powder or hardpack...or all the ice and bulletproof garbage we are getting this year, aside from the burning slides.

OTM

Off Trail Mike said:
Concur with MtnViper, Yamaha ships their MTX set up for elevation. If you want to run it close to sea level, you can purchase a sea-level kit from Yamaha, which includes a new primary spring/chain/sprocket, and they are not cheap. $800 maybe

But they work awesome. I never over rev, and they are pretty effortless in powder or hardpack...or all the ice and bulletproof garbage we are getting this year, aside from the burning slides.

OTM

So are you just running 22/40 gearing and the blue, brown, blue primary spring with 13.3 inner and 17.2 middle and outer rivets on the weights that came stock?

towerrigger said:
Check your clutch weights, are they empty?

Looked at the weights but couldn't see any rivets or anything but the weight, I am not sure where the rivets go, but the yamaha dealer says the sled is clutched for 10000 feet aparently, they said once the clutches get more worn in they will start overreving, they said a 100.00 bucks to do the work, I think I will just get them to do the work to fix this, hopefully this does the trick.

Back