• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2012 RS Vector EPS not working

wazzee

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2012 Yamaha RS Vector
My EPS indicator has been on since the start of this riding season. Checked the EPS fuse and it is okay. I am wondering if there is also a relay associated with the EPS control module and if so where is the relay located ?
Has anyone had this problem ? Any help would be appreciated .
Thanks Wazzee

My EPS indicator only comes on if the sled is parked outside overnight, even with a cover on the sled. Drive it for about an hour, and it warms up enough for the power steering to start working again. Yamahas excuse? It's corrosion! WTF!!! This sled has never been on a trailer, and it's always parked indoors, except for about 6 nights a year.

If it isn't already parked indoors, try that. Yamaha won't help!

There is a method to retrieve the error code that has triggered the EPS, including a method to reset it. It has to do with grounding out a wire onto the EPS module. The method is documented in the service manual.

You may not like the end result. In my case, it was a failed torque sensor which cannot be replaced without replacing the whole EPS motor... an expensive repair, over $1000. I ended up buying a used unit off another sled for $500. Unfortunately, it lasted for about a year before it failed again and I had to replace it again.

My EPS indicator only comes on if the sled is parked outside overnight, even with a cover on the sled. Drive it for about an hour, and it warms up enough for the power steering to start working again.

That's exactly how my first problems with the EPS started. Eventually, it never reset on its own

That's exactly how my first problems with the EPS started. Eventually, it never reset on its own
My sled has been acting this way since brand new. Like I said, Yamaha won't help.
My Yamaha doesn't like spending the night outdoors, covered.
20000 km on it now, and never an issue, unless it's parked overnight outside.
It ALWAYS works otherwise.

Check the connections at the wire bundle in nose of the sled to the power steering module. Mine was coming loose and I had to zip tie them together. Works all the time now.

Here's a link to a thread in which I post the method enter the EPS diagnostic mode.
https://ty4stroke.com/threads/question-about-eps.130621/page-2
I purchased updated version service manual for $ 14.99 USD at speedymanual.com where you can find tons of service manuals. I did the diagnostic test to check for fault codes and turns out no fault codes were present based on the timed flashes of the EPS warning indicator. I was quite happy to see that result so I followed the instruction on testing the continuity of the EPS actuator motor , it also proved okay. There was also a resistance check test for the torque sensor. Torque sensor resistance is to fall somewhere in between 1000 - 1500 ohms . Mine was 1154 ohms, so it proved okay. Any reading out of that specification . it tells to to replace the actuator.
In conclusion I was quite happy with all the results but still no further ahead. No apparent tests in the service manual for the EPS control module. I guess maybe the next step would be to try a new control module .
Thanks again Wazzee

Did a reset clear the EPS light at all? At least temporarily?

Yes it did temporarily, I than took it for a slow ride down the road , got it back in the garage and the EPS indicator would remain off till I toggled the handle bar slightly,
Not sure want may still be wrong. Next I plan to do a voltage check on the battery and charging system to prove the generator/ rectifier is functioning properly,
What are your thoughts? Have you experienced similar conditions ?
Thanks Wazzee

I felt my EPS begin to fail when I would take an aggressive turn, there would be a motorized vibration in the handlebars. Eventually, the EPS would light up on the dash permanently and read an error code of 11.

Yeah , I`m trying to get the sled back into the diagnostic mode again to do a reset and can no longer get it back into the diagnostic mode. EPS indicator stays on , on matter what I do with the key switch on and ground the male end of the connector or with the switch off. So I can no longer even see the fault code of 45. I would like to fix the EPS but doesn`t feel to cumbersome to drive without it .

Yeah , I`m trying to get the sled back into the diagnostic mode again to do a reset and can no longer get it back into the diagnostic mode. EPS indicator stays on , on matter what I do with the key switch on and ground the male end of the connector or with the switch off. So I can no longer even see the fault code of 45. I would like to fix the EPS but doesn`t feel to cumbersome to drive without it .

How have you made out with it? I'm interested in getting a 2013 for the wife... it has 900 miles on the clock.

How have you made out with it? I'm interested in getting a 2013 for the wife... it has 900 miles on the clock.
Sorry for the late reply. I was out of town sledding . As for my EPS ... the indicator is permanently on . trying to talk a buddy into letting me remove his eps control module off his appex to try on mine to see if it rectifies the problem. A new controller is $ 1100, so it would like to try one first. I think the Vector might be too much machine for your wife unless she has lots of experience. Although, a great sled for trails , it weighs in dry at 690 pounds.
Wazzee

Sorry for the late reply. I was out of town sledding . As for my EPS ... the indicator is permanently on . trying to talk a buddy into letting me remove his eps control module off his appex to try on mine to see if it rectifies the problem. A new controller is $ 1100, so it would like to try one first. I think the Vector might be too much machine for your wife unless she has lots of experience. Although, a great sled for trails , it weighs in dry at 690 pounds.
Wazzee

she bought the 2010 vector ltx new back in 2010..put 10200 miles on it.. she can handle it... but we just bought a 2013... amazing with power steering... I'll love it.. being I have old worn out arms as well... needs total shoulder replacements as well.

Back