• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2013 Vector-oil thru valve cover on change

hd95thfatboy

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2013 Yamaha Vector LTX
Doing oil change on my new to me 2013 Vector. I’ve drained the tank, pulled the tank strainer and cleaned, changed filter and drained the engine. When filling it back up do you put a quart thru the valve cover (I have an 05 RX1 and was instructed to do that on it)? I did this when I was filling the Vector back up (not an easy task either!). If your not supposed to do it that way, will it harm anything?
Thanks in advance

Although I have read of others doing that during an oil change, I have never done it when doing any of the oil changes on my 03 RX-1 with 11,000 miles, 08 Apex with 19,000 miles and 18 Apex with 7500 miles. It certainly won't hurt anything as I believe the reasoning behind doing it is to provide lubrication during initial startup after performing an oil change with these four strokes using a dry sump oil system. I always use Yamalube 0w40 full synthetic and change it every year.

Although I have read of others doing that during an oil change, I have never done it when doing any of the oil changes on my 03 RX-1 with 11,000 miles, 08 Apex with 19,000 miles and 18 Apex with 7500 miles. It certainly won't hurt anything as I believe the reasoning behind doing it is to provide lubrication during initial startup after performing an oil change with these four strokes using a dry sump oil system. I always use Yamalube 0w40 full synthetic and change it every year.
Thanks Rob. Certainly won’t do if not needed. Getting to the filler hole on the RX1 is simple, the Vector, not so much.

I never have on my Nytro. It hasnt blown up yet...

I don’t on my ‘15. Just refill the tank start recheck oil level. Over 10k miles still runs great.

Doesn't the oil pump pull from the tank to lube the engine? Would this mean if you poured a qt through the valve cover, the oil pump would pump it straight to the oil tank and not to the engine? I guess I'm not totally sure how this oiling system works.

Lengthy but good explanation on how a dry sump system works.

Back