• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2013 vector what to look for

fdxhawk8369

Veteran
Looking at a 2013 I’m assuming all have power steering it has under 2k miles not a scratch looks show room new, has mirrors and a 2 up seat. Are there any specific issues or known problems with a 13? The battery is dead but starts right up when jumped .I would prefer putting a new battery in that way I know what I’m getting.

I'd put the higher CCA battery in when you do change it. With that mileage you shouldn't have too much to worry about. Is it studded? If so, check the rear heat exchanger for damage or the protectors which should be installed when studded. Also check the slides and bogey wheels for damage if studded. Mine get torn up from the stud backs not being tight enough by the previous owner. These sleds are solid all around so you really shouldn't have any issues. Power steering isn't really necessary either with snowtrackers and will only add weight, so a low mileage 2010-2011 may not be a bad idea if you'd be interested in saving some money. The OEM graphite exhaust donuts will go bad around 5k or so. Start the sled and plug the exhaust pipes with two rags. If it dies easily then they should be fine. Replace with copper ones when they do go. Slides will wear fast if track is too tight. You can get larger wheels or just run tracker looser than OEM spec to solve this. Yamaha slides with Dupont inserts may help too + have less friction which will give you a bit of speed. You'll probably need to replace the fuel injector relay with the solid state red-colored one (Yamaha part 8GN-81950-00-00). Replace the headlight and fan ones as well (all three are in front of left foot well) to prevent them from freezing up. Best to stick with OEM belts. Check the bottom clutch guard (protects water hose) for bends. A snapping belt can bend it up in the front then cause more belts to go. Clutch rattle is normal. It should start up quickly (after setting fuel injectors by turning key to "on" and waiting for the whirring noise to stop) and run smoothly. This engine is pretty buttery smooth. Check the rear shock adjust dial cable to see if it is broken. It probably will be if this year has it but it's easy to put a manual adjuster on for $35. Kimpex and Barnofparts.com has them. You'll have to do some things to get it setup but once you do it's a lovely sled. Search this forum for Catman's setup. Get some aggressive snowtrackers, leave limiter strap at stock, level a-arms by removing all front spring preload (only deviation from catman's setup), put on a tall shield, soft start spring (barnofparts), drop on some studs or prestudded track, and have fun! Clutch will need some checking around 5k...Spring lengths, buttons (ramps), cleaning (probably good idea now)...The shorter Yamaha snow flap is better than stock. Stock will get stuck going in reverse and is a pain. Studs will shred it. Yamaha part 8GW-77595-00-00.

Agreed... we bought a 2010 gt new...put 10000 miles on it..trouble free except exhaust donuts. traded in on 2013... love the power steering.. same machine.. get the 2013 if under 2k miles..

I agree with most of what has been said. My wife has a 2013 LTX and it is a sweetheart of a sled. I think the power steering is well worth any additional weight it added to the sled. My wife was physically unable to ride any more due to a bad shoulder; now, with the power steering she rides just like she used to before the injury. The 2013 does not have the rear adjustable shock; I had a 2011 which had that feature, and I must have been one of the lucky ones because my cable never broke. and the adjuster always worked. More importantly, the adjuster actually made a noticeable difference in the ride and handling of the sled. The 2011 also has some adjustable front shocks which unfortunately did not carry over to the 2013's. My old 2011 was also a very sweet sled, and I wish they had carried those features over to the later sleds, but I guess the added cost of the power steering meant they had to shave off some frills. I give a X2 on the Snowtrackers for the Vector, it is the only way to ride. The Trackers make the Vector an absolute trail machine, no darting and no pushing. I would go with the semi-aggressive Trackers, unless you are going to stud the track and need more front end bite.

Back