• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2011 vector hard to start cold

DBVT

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2018 renegade enduro 900
2011 vector
Machine turns over slow when cold. Has new
Battery. Tried another known good battery. Checked solenoid. Ground. Starts right up with a jump pack. And starts fine once warm. Anything else i can check before i tackle replacing the starter?

When you use the booster pack are you connecting it right on the battery terminals or on the charging leads?

When you use the booster pack are you connecting it right on the battery terminals or on the charging leads?
Charging leads.

It's possible the charging leads have a slightly different connection path to the starter. If you put the booster on your battery leads and it didn't help that would confirm you have a battery lead or lead connection issue.

It's possible the charging leads have a slightly different connection path to the starter. If you put the booster on your battery leads and it didn't help that would confirm you have a battery lead or lead connection issue.
Looks like booster leads are part of the battery leads. I was messing around with it the other day, and hooked jumpers from battery to the booster leads and it fired right up. So ordered another positive battery lead. Made a jumper wire to try to get me by for the weekend and it was back to not wanting to start. Still scratching my head on that one.

Might try re-crimping both lead terminals at the battery.

Might try re-crimping both lead terminals at the battery.
So i tried hooking booster pack directly to battery and no start. Ran the boosting lead wire directly to the battery and it fired up. I did try to re crimp both leads and it did not help. Is the only ground wire on the sled the one directly from battery to engine?

Sounds like you're on the right track. Now find where the battery cables go and clean up the connections on the other ends. Assuming the red goes to the solenoid. Not sure where the black goes but it's definitely suspect too.

Ended up being the starter. It got bad enough we had to put a strap around the clutch and yank while bumping the key switch. Replacing the starter wasnt to bad. Removed headlight, airbox, steering linkage in front, front engine mount bolts. Lifted front of engine about an inch. Was able to squeeze starter out from the oil filter access panel after removing the filter. About 3 hours start to finish.

Back