• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2014 SR Viper - first oil change by me.

Dan T

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2014 Yamaha SR Viper LTX SE
My first oil change by me, in my Viper. Had the shop do it before, wanted to do it myself.

Is the engine oil and the chain case oil the same oil?

I drained the oil out of the engine and reservoir using just the drain plugs, changed the filter, starting filling the reservoir and couldn't see the 1/2 fill line in the window. put in 4 quarts still no line, must have over filled. ran the engine til warm. concerned, i drained the reservoir and ran the engine, found my 1/2 fill line. now i'm concerned about the reservoir being empty?? confused.

lots of research, still concerned.. heading to the UP next week for a 10 day ride, don't need a broken sled...

my first 4 stroke sled! Love the sled, need to learn the mechanics...

thanks in advance for your advice!!

Engine and chain case are not the same oil. There is not a chain case drain. If you want to change the chain case oil you have to remove the chain case cover that the oil tank mounts to. I usually do both at the same time. Drain the engine and oil tank. Change the filter. While the oil tank is empty I remove the muffler and oil lines to the tank and remove the chain case cover with the oil tank attached and drain the case. Inspect chain, gears, tensioner. If your tensioner screws aren’t tack welded now is the time. If your oil tank is leaking now is the time to reseal it, they are siliconed on but BOP makes a gasket if you prefer. Also check the upper gear bushing for wear. Reassemble with the updated orange chain case cover seal, not the black original one, they leak. Adjust chain tensioner. Then add gear lube to top of site glass about 14oz.
Next hook everything back up that was removed and add 3 1/2 quarts of oil with new filter. Run it till warm and then shut it off. Now check and adjust oil level. You will also want to have a new muffler gasket on hand or get the copper reusable gasket from BOP.

Engine and chain case are not the same oil. There is not a chain case drain. If you want to change the chain case oil you have to remove the chain case cover that the oil tank mounts to. I usually do both at the same time. Drain the engine and oil tank. Change the filter. While the oil tank is empty I remove the muffler and oil lines to the tank and remove the chain case cover with the oil tank attached and drain the case. Inspect chain, gears, tensioner. If your tensioner screws aren’t tack welded now is the time. If your oil tank is leaking now is the time to reseal it, they are siliconed on but BOP makes a gasket if you prefer. Also check the upper gear bushing for wear. Reassemble with the updated orange chain case cover seal, not the black original one, they leak. Adjust chain tensioner. Then add gear lube to top of site glass about 14oz.
Next hook everything back up that was removed and add 3 1/2 quarts of oil with new filter. Run it till warm and then shut it off. Now check and adjust oil level. You will also want to have a new muffler gasket on hand or get the copper reusable gasket from BOP.
Are people having good luck with the copper gasket? It's one if my biggest pet peeves about this sled! My dealer never has gaskets in stock, and they are completely necessary for maintenance.

Thanks for the advice!! my mistake was i didn't see the second window on the reservoir! once i figured that out it all made sense.. (2) windows, who would have thought! Rookie mistake..

thanks again for your help!

Are people having good luck with the copper gasket? It's one if my biggest pet peeves about this sled! My dealer never has gaskets in stock, and they are completely necessary for maintenance.
Yes, I've had the BOP copper gasket on since my first muffler removal of my 2017. No more replacing the torn factory gaskets! Awesome upgrade, thanks Travis!

Back