• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2014 viper rtx

Sg3540

Veteran
I am wondering if anyone can offer some info on the 14 viper rtx. I have a chance to pick one up for about 6000. Has about 6500 miles. Haven’t seen it in person yet, but pictures look like it’s in good shape. At least enough to pursue further. Anyone have anything to offer on what to look for specifically?

I have the same sled. The biggest thing to check is the driveshaft. You need to look closely at the left side (brake side) on the inside of the tunnel. If you can loosen up the track even better and then see if there is play. The bearing spins on the driveshaft and ruins it. This gets expensive to fix depending on how bad it is. There is a seal on the tunnel side and if it is gone that is a good sign there is a problem. Other than that fire it up and make sure reverse works. It is pretty reliable other than the driveshaft issue which can be fixed (check out barn of parts).

Cracked welds in the rear suspension, cracked rear suspension mount tabs at the rear of the tunnel, bent cross bar that the front of the rear suspension hangs off of, bent tube between the rear suspension rails that the front swing arm pivots on, worn out front suspension ball joints, worn wiring harness, worn aluminum tube in cooling system just inside the left front suspension - it rubs on the bodywork there, ask what year flash the ECU has if it is not the 2018 flash it may have starting/backfiring issues, when you turn the key off the reverse actuator motor always turns in the direction that shifts the sled into forward gear - if you can hear it grinding or making noise the gears internal to the motor are worn or shot, if it is loud when started the exhaust can may have broken internally 2014-15 had this issue, driveshaft spinning inside the bearing on the clutch side wearing the drive shaft out - not sure how to check this other than to pull the cover inside the tunnel and look it over.
I have a 2014 RTX with 10K+ miles on it and it keeps going strong but I do maintenance mid-season and before putting it away for the summer each year.

I have the same sled. The biggest thing to check is the driveshaft. You need to look closely at the left side (brake side) on the inside of the tunnel. If you can loosen up the track even better and then see if there is play. The bearing spins on the driveshaft and ruins it. This gets expensive to fix depending on how bad it is. There is a seal on the tunnel side and if it is gone that is a good sign there is a problem. Other than that fire it up and make sure reverse works. It is pretty reliable other than the driveshaft issue which can be fixed (check out barn of parts).
When you fire it up make sure that the temp light is off (~70F) before you hit the throttle. It will likely shut off and foul plugs if not. I have a 2014 RTX SE as well. Check for unnecessary play in steering post, and ask about bearings like posted above. Jackshaft and driveshaft are probably getting close if never looked at. Also check if there is a trihub in the rear or if that has been changed out. How often is the chaincase oil being serviced? Check the weld on the front wishbone of the suspension, its an issue on any procross chassis they have been known to rust and break. Also would ask about shocks being serviced, they would need it at this point in mileage. IMO the reverse is very hit or miss to catch the issue but at least verify that it works. I don't think 6 is too far off on price, the engine will likely never need to be touched in the time you own it, and a new sled is north of 15 for any brand.

Back