• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2015 YAMAHA SNOWMOBILES

SRXSRULE2 said:
The polaris belt drive system is simple but it has not proven reliable for a sled that see's a lot of track shock ie. Sudden traction destroys them. Is it a great idea? Yea. But CB performance had one on an SRX how many years before polaris did?

My buddy just got his new Pro-RMK 800 163. I'll get to see how reliable it is first hand this season. I personally think the belt drive is a terrible idea in the manner Polaris is manufacturing it without a tensioner. I believe the Assault comes with a chain case simply because it is meant to be jumped and the belt drive won't hold up. My IQR even comes stock with a slipper clutch on the drive axle to reduce the shock loads to the chain & gears from landing hard with the throttle on.

Regarding CVT's, they may not be the most efficient drive system available but they are light, reliable, easy to work on, and tune. I think they have more pros going for them than cons.

I agree, having a tensioner would help absorb some shock load as well. Maybe they could incorporate a slipper clutch into their system to make it more robust. The simple Belt CVT drive works, let's not reinvent the wheel lol

I can't use his name but he has been involved with both Cat and Yamaha at the R&D level...told me a couple weeks ago that you will see a 200 HP N/A motor from Yamaha that will weight no more than a 800 two-stroke. They are in the early stages of fitting it into a chassis already. Apparently lightly based off a current marine motor Yamaha already utilizes today. I don't know crap about their watercrafts so maybe someone on here has more insight. 2-3 years before you will see this but it is coming according to my source.

There is no emotion symbol on the side of the screen for a wet dream lol, but that would be everyone's dream there. They would name it the bee killer :)

2BLUE4U said:
I can't use his name but he has been involved with both Cat and Yamaha at the R&D level...told me a couple weeks ago that you will see a 200 HP N/A motor from Yamaha that will weight no more than a 800 two-stroke. They are in the early stages of fitting it into a chassis already. Apparently lightly based off a current marine motor Yamaha already utilizes today. I don't know crap about their watercrafts so maybe someone on here has more insight. 2-3 years before you will see this but it is coming according to my source.
Well i guess then the viper isnt the only collaberation that the 2 are gonna work on. Yamacat is here to stay i guess whether you like or not

Blue Hornet said:
Well i guess then the viper isnt the only collaberation that the 2 are gonna work on. Yamacat is here to stay i guess whether you like or not

That's what I suspect. You'd think there would be more rumors about a 100% pure Yamaha sled coming out. With the low number of sled sales and Cat needing an engine supplier, it just makes too much sense for Yamaha to not use Cat to produce chassis for them from here on out. If sled sales were to increase drastically I could see Yamaha then going back to producing their own chassis.

2BLUE4U said:

I would say if they base it off any marine engine it would be the 1.8L 4 cylinder used in the majority of their waverunners and jet boats. They have 3 different version of it. A 1.8 HO(n/a 180hp) a1.8 SHO (supercharged 210-220hp, which my yamaha boat has) and the new 1.8SVHO(supercharged 250-260hp). These engines are pretty big so maybe the are just using some tech from this engine. Then again, I don't know much about their outboard engines.

My prediction for 2015...

Nytro and Phazer gone.

SR Venom (AC Procross) with Phazer engine or some sort of Yamaha 4 stroke with 80-90 HP as an entry level sled.

SR Viper continues with the addition of a Viper MTX to replace the Nytro MTX.

Vector - Apex - receive a facelift if lucky and some engineering updates.

Venture - Viking - continue with BNGs.

That is my prediction for 2015. I'm probably wrong, but I would not be surprised if a few of those things happened.

I think at some point we will get a new chassis from Japan to replace the DBII sleds and that Yamaha will go back to a single chassis for all Japanese produced sleds, but I don't see it coming before '16 or '17.

yamajammer76 said:
My prediction for 2015...

Nytro and Phazer gone.

SR Venom (AC Procross) with Phazer engine or some sort of Yamaha 4 stroke with 80-90 HP as an entry level sled.

SR Viper continues with the addition of a Viper MTX to replace the Nytro MTX.

Vector - Apex - receive a facelift if lucky and some engineering updates.

Venture - Viking - continue with BNGs.

That is my prediction for 2015. I'm probably wrong, but I would not be surprised if a few of those things happened.

I think at some point we will get a new chassis from Japan to replace the DBII sleds and that Yamaha will go back to a single chassis for all Japanese produced sleds, but I don't see it coming before '16 or '17.

Just as I said in my first post. Phazer gone, and new mountain sled. All in cat suspensions, with yamaha motors, drive components, and names. Next in 16&17 is the apex and vector models. More then likely with a new motor then or the boost on the one motor. Seems to keep engineering costs down if they did go with the boost, but I'm hoping for a new motor that is as awesome, and buildable as the Apex motor. Best in the industry IMO.

Not gonna make any predictions, but wanted to comment on Yammi Marine tech. Yamaha already has a 4 stroke outboard (VMax SHO) in 200, 225 and 250 hp models that are claimed to be equal in weight to Mercury's 2 stroke (Optimax) engines of the same power.

Yamaha shed some of the weight by removing the traditional piston sleeves and is instead using some type of "plasma fusion" to harden the cylinder walls. One negative I've heard from some techs who have serviced these motors is that if the cylinder walls are scored bad enough, there's no way to re-plate them like you can with nikisal coating. Kinda makes the engine a throw-away motor at that point ... unless it's possible to bore them and insert steel piston sleeves.

These VMAX SHO engines are expensive too (like $20K for 200 hp version). All this new tech ain't gonna come cheap.

Here's the hot sheet on the VMax SHO: VMAX SHO HOTSHEET

OVR4D said:
Not gonna make any predictions, but wanted to comment on Yammi Marine tech. Yamaha already has a 4 stroke outboard (VMax SHO) in 200, 225 and 250 hp models that are claimed to be equal in weight to Mercury's 2 stroke (Optimax) engines of the same power.

Modern outboards are rated at the prop, so a 200hp outboard has at least a 220hp powerhead on it.

The Yamaha outbord weigh as much as a sled...

The will have a new chassi that will (much like all other brands) be used in all segments with just slight variation... No new engine but some new tech. Engine is two years away and will go into new chassi...

I was only trying to point out that Yamaha is already producing a 4-S with the same weight as their competitor's 2-S (in the marine environment). If anyone is capable of building 4-S with the same power to weight as the other brands, it'll be YMC for sure ... I don't doubt that. I think that YMC wants to get to those numbers N/A form if possible though.

Back