• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2016 Viper MTX 153 advice needed

SS73

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2016 SR Viper MTX
Hi everyone, 1st post here and sure would appreciate some advice and options, I picked up the above mentioned sled early this summer, it has 580 miles on it, bone stock except for a GGB trail can that I installed, itsclutched for 10k elevation I believe, definitely no rivets in clutch weights, it's very unlikely I will ever ride in the mountains or that elevation, I live in central Alberta approx 3000ft elevation, I will be on lakes, fields, ditched, cut lines, trails etc etc, I get that I may not have the ideal sled but it's what I have, from what I've read here prob 70mph ish is what it will top out at in current configuration, I'm not a speed demon but mid 80s -90mph would be nice for when needed or wanted, so let's start with clutching...current 37 helix, 3/1 wrap, ggg primary spring, no rivets? 21/49 gears. Would prefer to stick with parts I can source locally from Yamaha dealership if it will achieve what I'm after, 43 helix, spring wrap? ppp spring ??? and not sure what rivet weights? 22/48 gears? Really enjoy this forum by the way, sorry for the long post!! Thanks in advance.

Hi everyone, 1st post here and sure would appreciate some advice and options, I picked up the above mentioned sled early this summer, it has 580 miles on it, bone stock except for a GGB trail can that I installed, itsclutched for 10k elevation I believe, definitely no rivets in clutch weights, it's very unlikely I will ever ride in the mountains or that elevation, I live in central Alberta approx 3000ft elevation, I will be on lakes, fields, ditched, cut lines, trails etc etc, I get that I may not have the ideal sled but it's what I have, from what I've read here prob 70mph ish is what it will top out at in current configuration, I'm not a speed demon but mid 80s -90mph would be nice for when needed or wanted, so let's start with clutching...current 37 helix, 3/1 wrap, ggg primary spring, no rivets? 21/49 gears. Would prefer to stick with parts I can source locally from Yamaha dealership if it will achieve what I'm after, 43 helix, spring wrap? ppp spring ??? and not sure what rivet weights? 22/48 gears? Really enjoy this forum by the way, sorry for the long post!! Thanks in advance.
You said you are in central Alberta? Get a hold of OJ’s leisure and marine in wainwright AB. they definitely know there 4 strokes

As im sure youve read the front skid spring is weak. i live an hr from sylvan and have 2 of the ZBROZ springs if youre interested in buying one. I have both the 160 lb, and the heavier one as well.
That will make a huge difference in sled handling.
i mainly ride mountains so i cant help so much on the clutching side of things. i did re gear this summer to BTX gearing, in order to make better use of the turbo. tons of little mods out there to make these sleds amazing, feel free to message me if ur interested in the spring or have any questions.

If anyone one else would like to chime in that would be great, lol

Doing the math 22/48 gears will give you an additional 6 mph. That might not seem like much but if you intend to keep the factory tall lug mountain track, your goal of spinning that track at 90 miles an hour on stock horsepower is not realistic. New chains are expensive. 22/48 gears will allow you to keep your original chain. If you can get the gears at a reasonable price I think that it would be a cost effective improvement. Sometimes the Arctic Cat gears are less costly, other times the Yamaha price is better. Check with both dealers if you have them close to you. If you are going to keep the original clutch arms and add weight you will probably need to add more weight than the heaviest OEM Yamaha rivet. Heavier rivets are available. If you can borrow a helix from someone without paying for it first by all means give it a try, but l’m not a fan of the straight 43° helix. There are aftermarket options for clutching that range from less than $25 to more than $300. If you are interested in a clutch set up that works quite well and is very inexpensive PM me. If you have a bigger budget for an aftermarket adjustable clutch setup there are a number of forum sponsors that can help you out with that.

Doing the math 22/48 gears will give you an additional 6 mph. That might not seem like much but if you intend to keep the factory tall lug mountain track, your goal of spinning that track at 90 miles an hour on stock horsepower is not realistic. New chains are expensive. 22/48 gears will allow you to keep your original chain. If you can get the gears at a reasonable price I think that it would be a cost effective improvement. Sometimes the Arctic Cat gears are less costly, other times the Yamaha price is better. Check with both dealers if you have them close to you. If you are going to keep the original clutch arms and add weight you will probably need to add more weight than the heaviest OEM Yamaha rivet. Heavier rivets are available. If you can borrow a helix from someone without paying for it first by all means give it a try, but l’m not a fan of the straight 43° helix. There are aftermarket options for clutching that range from less than $25 to more than $300. If you are interested in a clutch set up that works quite well and is very inexpensive PM me. If you have a bigger budget for an aftermarket adjustable clutch setup there are a number of forum sponsors that can help you out with that.
Thanks for the input and advice, after researching and reading every possible bit of info I can find lol, I think in the end I'm better off to bite the bullet and go with a clutch kit set up of some sort from Ulmer, Stingray or TP etc I'll have to reach out to see who offers the best set up for the conditions and style of riding for me,

I thought I would post an update, I decided to go with the Stingray clutch kit and helix, Bill was kind enough to reach out and give me a call, provided tons of info and suggestions and had my order shipped the next day, that's great service IMO, should be here in a couple days, also did his airbox mod today. Installed the Zbros 160lb spring too, can't wait for some snow!!

Back