• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

SOLVED-2016 xtx engine missing, sputtering, stalling

Problem comes and goes. Starts and idles perfect but sometimes when running slow below 8000 rpm the engine sputters, misses stalls sometimes. Above 8000 it always works perfect. From stand still if you pin it it pulls hard and runs perfect. Sometimes everything is fine. No codes or warnings, new gas, tried premium gas line antifreeze. Last year I had similar problems but worse and through all rpm range, code 33 and 34. Dealer traced it down to bad coil connectors and soldered in used ones from a nytro ( only other option was complete wiring harness). For this problem he told me to check ground block and it looks nice and clean. Said sometimes they burn up. Does anyone have any other ideas. Thanks

Does it actually stall, or just miss out? Does it appear to happen at the same throttle position? The issue I experienced was around 5500-7500 sled would want to miss(almost like I let off the throttle), I could pin it and it would run fine. After several times I noticed it almost always seemed to happen at the same throttle setting. I changed plugs, and not change. What seemed to make the difference was some grease on the throttle position connector at the throttle body and some wd40 around the TPS.

Yes it will stall the odd time, especially if I let off the throttle while it is sputtering. I checked dielectric greased a lot of connectors including ECU, ground blocks, air box and others. Are the 2 you mentioned accessible under headlight or where would I find them. I also just noticed the ground cable on battery was a tad loose with some black corrosion on it, I wire brushed that and will try it out today. As for throttle position, these symptoms occur through a small range, not 1 exact position. Here is a short video, I am holding throttle fairly steady.

I had the 14 xtx, it ran flawless, like 2stroken said check plug in around your throttle position connector, voltage, bad grounds can make these engines to weird things also, mice can be a pain in the a$$ to, what part of the island are you from?

trying with tors bypassed would not hurt. the 09 i sold my brother was picky on where you held the throttle lever while riding or it would pop and fart as well. he is now chasing wiring issues as almost all major parts have been replaced in the last year.

I had the 14 xtx, it ran flawless, like 2stroken said check plug in around your throttle position connector, voltage, bad grounds can make these engines to weird things also, mice can be a pain in the a$$ to, what part of the island are you from?

Grand Tracadie, where you from? Going to try the TORS bypass and see what happens. The problem has to be related to the throttle position somehow.

Grand Tracadie, where you from? Going to try the TORS bypass and see what happens. The problem has to be related to the throttle position somehow.
Yeah.. try the TORS bypass, you have a bad signal or rubbed wire, bad ground or a sensor shorting out, seems more of a firing issue than fuel, will the machine do this on a stand in your shop or only while riding it, just thinking if it will do this on a stand, check in the dark for signs of shorting out spark if possible, spraying wd-40 or Rust check on or around coils and sensors can mask the problem but you may be able to pin point the problem this way also, electrical issues are a major pain, I'm from the western End, have family there.

I went into diagnostic mode and while checking throttle position sensor readings on cluster I noticed the readings are pretty erratic going up to mid throttle, above that the reading climb steadily as I continue to slowly squeeze throttle. Is this confirmation the TPS sensor is bad? They are pricey, $426.00 canadian dollars

Got it fixed up. Went into diagnostic mode, TPS sensor reading were erratic up to mid throttle, beyond climbed steadily. 426.00 for new sensor and a week away so I took old one off, sprayed rust check into it, worked it a bit with screw driver re-installed, reading were all good. Test drive works perfect. Push button reverse consistantly works now too, before had to kill engine sometimes to put back in forward. Must have been moisture in sensor or something. Hope this may help someone down the road. Thanks

Glad to hear you got it figured out, put some electrical grease in it now and your good to go, much snow on the island? would love to do the Confederation trail from one end to the other for a trip but its hard to get away to do that with work and all, my buddies on the island are mostly Atvers and come over here to NS for a fall atv weekend run with me for the last 5 years, we have a great time, have a great season!!

Glad to hear you got it figured out, put some electrical grease in it now and your good to go, much snow on the island? would love to do the Confederation trail from one end to the other for a trip but its hard to get away to do that with work and all, my buddies on the island are mostly Atvers and come over here to NS for a fall atv weekend run with me for the last 5 years, we have a great time, have a great season!!

Right on, we are big into ATVing as well, made several trips over to Parrsboro NS, and lots to NB as well. Sledfing conditions over here this year are perfect now.

Back