• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2017,18 clutch update kit

Joe77

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2018 Sidewinder xtx-se
was just wondering if anyone has tried the update on their sled and thoughts on it? Looks like the rivets are a lot lighter which kinda surprised me. I’m bone stock right now but do have the kit still in the box. I also have a mbrp trail pipe that I haven’t put on yet. Any thoughts on the kit and also running the trail pipe? Thanks

The upgrade kit ($99) is only available in Canada at that price. Not offered in the states.

We can order it, it is currently on back order right now though.
Can you help with what is the benefit of this kit with our older Sidewinders?

Can you help with what is the benefit of this kit with our older Sidewinders?

I wish I could give you specifics but I have not ridden a 2019 vs previous years calibration to compare. As far as I know, these changes were made to increase belt longevity and overall performance on a STOCK machine.

I wish I could give you specifics but I have not ridden a 2019 vs previous years calibration to compare. As far as I know, these changes were made to increase belt longevity and overall performance on a STOCK machine.
Thanks!

Has anyone done the update kit yet and was there any advantage to be had

was just wondering if anyone has tried the update on their sled and thoughts on it? Looks like the rivets are a lot lighter which kinda surprised me. I’m bone stock right now but do have the kit still in the box. I also have a mbrp trail pipe that I haven’t put on yet. Any thoughts on the kit and also running the trail pipe? Thanks
I did the update kit and it seemed to make it snappier , as advertised .
Then I flashed it with the 240 stock muffler Hurricane flash , and just put in daltons with the updated Yamaha helix.
It is real good.

I'm running this still on my 19 with tunes from 250hp through 290. I've loaded up my stock weights with weld so they weigh 78 grams. Stock springs. My clutch engages at 2650 which is real nice for trail running(but won't launch off the line very hard haha). I now have almost 1100 kms on the 8DN and haven't popped it yet.
I let one of my buds ride it that has a newer Apex and he says 'everytime I squeeze the throttle it feels like I'm drilling the ground" lol

That doesn't really answer your question though. I was told from Yamaha that during testing they found the clutches ran cooler with this new set up. At higher speeds with the reverse angle helix there will be less belt pinch, and they corrected the RPM's by using a 3 gram lighter rivet in the outer hole.

I'm running this still on my 19 with tunes from 250hp through 290. I've loaded up my stock weights with weld so they weigh 78 grams. Stock springs. My clutch engages at 2650 which is real nice for trail running(but won't launch off the line very hard haha). I now have almost 1100 kms on the 8DN and haven't popped it yet.
I let one of my buds ride it that has a newer Apex and he says 'everytime I squeeze the throttle it feels like I'm drilling the ground" lol

That doesn't really answer your question though. I was told from Yamaha that during testing they found the clutches ran cooler with this new set up. At higher speeds with the reverse angle helix there will be less belt pinch, and they corrected the RPM's by using a 3 gram lighter rivet in the outer hole.
What do you have your secondary wrapped at?

What do you have your secondary wrapped at?
With the stock spring I set it at 70 or 80.
Last weekend I used the yellow spring from the 17 and 18 which is the same except for more side force set at 60. I liked that setup but didn't get a chance to do many high speed pulls. I also tried a EPI purple but it seemed to lack consistency.
I should also mention that at lower speeds(like going through bushes) RPM's are real low which is nice and helps with fuel mileage.

i went with the update just before this riding season so my memory of the old setup is a bit vague. I would say that at midrange speeds travelling around 50 mph I can just touch the gas and the winder accelerates better also my fuel mileage has improved. The trails that I ride in that are all in the 40 to 75 mph range so you can be very smooth on the throttle and still feel the the acceleration..(if that makes any sense)..

Back