• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2018 Viper Starting Issues Already???

Not to repeat some things that have been said but get it started.... Then step away from the sled..... let it get to 180* with temp then play with it.. And anything over 87 octane is, one a waste of money and two, makes less power, and three can cause start issues on a stock sled that calls for no more than 87. I know in some areas they sell 93 that has no ethanol and guys think its great... but if your riding regularly during the season its a waste and makes less power. If your using 87 that has ethanol and burning up often your fine. Store for the summer …. 93 non ethanol. Ya have a nice new sled that just needs some fresh 87 fuel and a good warm up till the fan comes on. And like mentioned above... He is right, 10's are colder plugs than the 9's.

Last edited:
The sled needs to be RUN. Short starts and shut downs are a recipe for fouled plugs. Did the same thing on my first four stroke(RX-1)The fuel injected sleds are better but still...
I wouldn't worry.

And the plugs dont change very easy either. New beast, you have to learn too tickle her fancy.

Last trip I was in a rush to unload my sled and only let it run for about 30 seconds before forcing off the trailer, after getting off and letting the engine go down to idle, it stalled. I cranked it several times and it backfired and took out a starter gear, grinding now. I didn’t tear it apart yet to see what happened. Up to this point before the failure , I have 12k and always let the low temp light go out with no issues. I’m convinced that no warmup equals backfire equals broke starters.

Last trip I was in a rush to unload my sled and only let it run for about 30 seconds before forcing off the trailer, after getting off and letting the engine go down to idle, it stalled. I cranked it several times and it backfired and took out a starter gear, grinding now. I didn’t tear it apart yet to see what happened. Up to this point before the failure , I have 12k and always let the low temp light go out with no issues. I’m convinced that no warmup equals backfire equals broke starters.
The viper’s don’t like that at ALL!!!!
Been there, once it stalls it’s a mother to get it started back up. Swore one time a blew an eardrum from the backfire while still in the trailer.

Not to repeat some things that have been said but get it started.... Then step away from the sled..... let it get to 180* with temp then play with it.. And anything over 87 octane is, one a waste of money and two, makes less power, and three can cause start issues on a stock sled that calls for no more than 87. I know in some areas they sell 93 that has no ethanol and guys think its great... but if your riding regularly during the season its a waste and makes less power. If your using 87 that has ethanol and burning up often your fine. Store for the summer …. 93 non ethanol. Ya have a nice new sled that just needs some fresh 87 fuel and a good warm up till the fan comes on. And like mentioned above... He is right, 10's are colder plugs than the 9's.
Yeah, that was the plan to run 87 in it all season and store it with 93. Worst case when I’m around the sled tomorrow I’ll start it and let it get to over 180 temp and see. If it starts rough again I’ll take it in and spark plugs can get replaced. I bet that would be covered under 1 year Yamaha warranty. 0 miles on sled. Lol. Regardless I’ll be buying the 4 year Yamaha warranty for this sled.

The sled needs to be RUN. Short starts and shut downs are a recipe for fouled plugs. Did the same thing on my first four stroke(RX-1)The fuel injected sleds are better but still...
I wouldn't worry.
So your guess is plugs are already fouled on a sled with 0 miles?? Ouch. Wonder if that’s covered under my 1 year warranty.

Yes
like many said if running 87 ethanol is fine may be even good as ethanol cleans and dissolves /removes any water . IF storing than Ethanol free as again the ethanol attracts water

Yes
like many said if running 87 ethanol is fine may be even good as ethanol cleans and dissolves /removes any water . IF storing than Ethanol free as again the ethanol attracts water
Anyone guess if replacing plugs on a sled with 0 miles is covered under the sleds 1 year warranty. Could I change plugs myself, yes.... do I want to...not if its covered.

Good place to buy plugs. Fleet doesn't have the CR9E plugs according to online... I'll be studding sled tonight at buddys shop so might as well check plugs while I'm doing that.

Is this your first 4 stroke ? If so, there are certain things you need to learn compared to a 2 stroke sled. Depending which dealer you got it from, you might NOT want to take it in for this.

Is this your first 4 stroke ? If so, there are certain things you need to learn compared to a 2 stroke sled. Depending which dealer you got it from, you might NOT want to take it in for this.
Yep, first 4 stroke. Did read the manual but regardless plugs will be getting swapped tonight. Live and learn. :(

Do yourself a HUGE favor, its early in the season, you have a buddy willing to help in the shop. Take the hood off, this is a fun learning experiance , remove BOTH lower belly pan pieces by drilling out the rivets, rivnut or screw them back on. You will THANK yourself for this next time you need to work on it. While you have the hood and sides off, check ALL the hose clamps. Best advice I can give you is to go to the SideWinder section and find RockerDans build thread. THANK YOU VERY MUCH Dan. READ it from start to finish. Then enjoy your winter.

Back