• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2019 Sidewinder Vibration

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
Sidewinder
Hi All...looking for some advice. Bought a used 2019 Srx with 900 miles on. Since owned I have a quite noticeable vibration that starts at 40 - 45mph, felt in the feet. I replaced all drive line bearings, replaced a few wheels in skid that I didn't like, checked all skid bearings and skid, all okay. Removed all studs and still have the same vibration. Driveshaft?? Clutches?? Any advice would be appreciated. Thank's

Take a quick look at your drive belt. Look for missing pieces or chunks. Look at the sides of belt also. Just a thought.

Alot of things can cause this … Not right for someone to sell it like that … knowing when and what caused it sure would help.. Most likely the secondary rollers are flat spotted and need to be replaced. Check for a broken clutch spring, either clutch out of balance, crankshaft out of phase or , stub shaft moved from blowing a belt center to center or clutch offset out of specification just to name a few things .. if track has been replaced check pitch .. Check drivers are not damaged or out of phase … check the chain and gears , basically search till you find the problem.

Alot of things can cause this … Not right for someone to sell it like that … knowing when and what caused it sure would help.. Most likely the secondary rollers are flat spotted and need to be replaced. Check for a broken clutch spring, either clutch out of balance, crankshaft out of phase or , stub shaft moved from blowing a belt center to center or clutch offset out of specification just to name a few things .. if track has been replaced check pitch .. Check drivers are not damaged or out of phase … check the chain and gears , basically search till you find the problem.
Agreed on people not selling their sleds with issues...Secondary rollers are good, no broken springs in either clutch. I'm going to pull my clutches off my other sidewinder and try that for sure. Center to center measurement? Track is original. Drivers look in phase, can't tell if drive shaft is bent though... my gut tells me the previous owner hit something, a few dings under neath on the oil filter inspection plate and some minor grooves in the guard below brake disc caused by disc contacting guard. Chain case & all gears is like new.

Are you running a shaft saver inside drive shaft? Does the brake wobble while running the sled on a stand?
No shaft saver all stock. I'll check for wobble on the brake side. Didn't notice anything obvious. Brand new drive bearings I just installed aswell.

Agreed on people not selling their sleds with issues...Secondary rollers are good, no broken springs in either clutch. I'm going to pull my clutches off my other sidewinder and try that for sure. Center to center measurement? Track is original. Drivers look in phase, can't tell if drive shaft is bent though... my gut tells me the previous owner hit something, a few dings under neath on the oil filter inspection plate and some minor grooves in the guard below brake disc caused by disc contacting guard. Chain case & all gears is like new.
i would asume you didn't test drive it , or run it on a stand ?
Buying used is a risky practice , especially from someone you don't know .

I've replaced two drive shafts with wobbling drive sprockets on sleds that have hit rocks the past couple of years. Put it on the stand and run it looking for wobbling track and/or drive sprockets, and don't be afraid to rev it up a bit, you may not even notice it by just spinning it slowly. The drive sprockets hang lower than the bulkhead. All it takes is one hit on something solid.

i would asume you didn't test drive it , or run it on a stand ?
Buying used is a risky practice , especially from someone you don't know .
That's correct...a sled with 900 miles, you wouldn't think you would have to. Regardless of the obvious, back to tracking down the problem to share with all for future, I'll check the above suggestions. Thanks for all, Be in touch.

I've replaced two drive shafts with wobbling drive sprockets on sleds that have hit rocks the past couple of years. Put it on the stand and run it looking for wobbling track and/or drive sprockets, and don't be afraid to rev it up a bit, you may not even notice it by just spinning it slowly. The drive sprockets hang lower than the bulkhead. All it takes is one hit on something solid.
Will do...thanks!

Will do...thanks!
How bad is it? I have a harmonic starting at 40 to around 45, maybe a slight vibration in my feet, been there for 4500 miles. Sled is fine. My Apex has a drone at certain speeds and my Vector as well, with new slides only. Its gone above that and below that. If you find something, post it please.

Last edited:
I had this same thing this past year except at 55-60mph. It was the brake side driveshaft bearing failing.

I had this same thing this past year except at 55-60mph. It was the brake side driveshaft bearing failing.
He said he replaced all the bearings but did not use driveshaft bearing fix or refer to fixing that issue .. His new bearing could be spinning on worn shaft and its possible thats could be the problem…

Hi Guys...good news update. Thanks for all the advice. Learning as follows, I swapped both clutches from my sidewinder to my my SRX and vibration went away, isolated alittle more per clutch and found the secondary to be at fault. Started to disassemble secondary and found two of the three nuts holding the helix down backed off just a tread causing the helix to flex away from clutch. See pic it actually ovoled my helix holes. Swapped out helix, new nuts, torqued to spec & no more vibration. Some thing quick to check for future vibration issues.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220305-123959_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220305-123959_Gallery.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 101

Back