• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2019 Viper predictions

minks_698

Pro
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2016 Viper MTX 141
We're all aware the viper is due for a refresh in 19. Hard to believe it's been 5 yrs! Just a version of the new plastics and style wouldn't be all that exciting, but they could add the new clutches, headlight, and weight saving tricks cat intro'ed on the 18 cat M sleds for starters.

Could we see a 998 NA motor replace the 1049? No reason a 998 couldn' be tuned for 130+ hp. Remember the original 973 was 120+ in 2005 with carbs! This would save yammie $$$ since the motor would be under 1 liter when they import it to the states.

What about a non-intercooled 998 version at about 150-160 hp to fill the gap left by the Apex? I'm Thinking more 998s obviously.

Please don't respond with a " 400lb carbon fiber turbo apex made in japan" type response! Let's talk real world viper, not sidewinder possibilities here!

Been wishing for several years now that Yamaha would produce a smaller lighter sled to take the place of the Phazer..similar to the 4000 series cat. What we don't need is anymore $15k+ machines..the market has plenty of those. why not give us a more basic machine that cost $7-$8k like they're doing with their FZ series street bikes. Put basic coil shocks on it, a basic gauge and just keep it cheap.

New plastics, 998 na at 140+hp and mitsubishi ecu would keep buyer's happy.
Winder still seems twice as big as a Phazer or heck even the new Axis and Doo. Both my kids hate the Viper and 800 because of that. Can't say I blame them. Need a complete new chassis like Phazer or SnoPro 500 with all kinds of engine and track length choices. Starting with 121in and all the way up to the mountain skids. Put the turbo on the outside the bodywork for those guys they won't care. Needs to be under 500 lbs true wieght. Gear reduction if engine makes power over 8500rpm.

I'd like to see some thing between the phazer and viper.
500cc 800cc 1049cc obviously I'll state the obvious 4STROKE ONLY.
My wife sure would like a phazer engine in the current viper chassis. But something in the middle would also be nice. HOW ABOUT A DECENT SET OF STOCK SKIS 5.5 TUNNER IS A JOKE IN THE LOOSE STUFF.
4 stroke pigs needs at least 7 inch WIDE skis.
How much more can they improve. The sleds today are 107% better than their predecessors. Go back in time 35 45 years and those sleds are basaically a straw bale with skis.
I really think the weight is the majority of the issue. If they could shave 75lbs that would be a big improvement.
less weight to push = more torque and hp.

Last edited:
Winder still seems twice as big as a Phazer or heck even the new Axis and Doo. Both my kids hate the Viper and 800 because of that. Can't say I blame them. Need a complete new chassis like Phazer or SnoPro 500 with all kinds of engine and track length choices. Starting with 121in and all the way up to the mountain skids. Put the turbo on the outside the bodywork for those guys they won't care. Needs to be under 500 lbs true wieght. Gear reduction if engine makes power over 8500rpm.
It is odd how small my Phazer feels compared to my Viper, even though they are dang near the same in all the critical measurements. Width, length, seat height, handlebar position are almost identical. I could see the 998na + mitsubishi ecm to replace the venerable 1049 but the 16+ 1049 has the updated case which is used in PWC also. New plastics and LED headlight are probably a given IF the Viper remains in the lineup since they really cut down the Viper models last year. Maybe the 847 twin/998na come in with different names and the 847 gets a turbo to replace the "apex" class, the 847 has all forged internals which seem odd for a 69hp UTV motor.

Nothing will change but less weight out front would be good!

Yamaha will do something to compete in the 600 class. I picked up a 600 MxZ for my daughter this year due to the weight and now everyones fights to ride it. The Doo is just much easier to ride than my Viper. I think it will be a new chassis once the Textron deal expires. I don't see Textron being interested in the partnership as it doesn't benefit them like it did Arctic Cat.

Yamaha will do something to compete in the 600 class. I picked up a 600 MxZ for my daughter this year due to the weight and now everyones fights to ride it. The Doo is just much easier to ride than my Viper. I think it will be a new chassis once the Textron deal expires. I don't see Textron being interested in the partnership as it doesn't benefit them like it did Arctic Cat.

They say the viper is in the 600 class?

I agree.

I think they are going to update the chassis, better ergonomics, narrower, Yamaha electronics, side winder lights... And most importantly they are going to start cutting weight in places now. Lots of places that I can see where weight can be cut. Substantially l

New Phazer 750 triple to replace vector and phazer .More like a vector with a real windshield and soft wider seat. A sled that can be trail ridden unlike Phazer which cant due to its lack of comfort, 100 HP ish to compete with skidoo 900 ACE which sells big time out here. Ohh yes must be quiet like the ACE not the drone the Viper has. As far as the Viper goes id happily PAY for an updated ECU to make it run more like a Vector/Nytro. So hopefully that comes on the 19 and they sell as kit for the rest of us.

A new cat chassi?

FB_IMG_1517247810065.jpg

Would like to see an mtx with the Ascender upgrades.Right now there's no replacement for my Viper MTX.I like the Sidewinder but I won't be getting one.

Would like to see an mtx with the Ascender upgrades.Right now there's no replacement for my Viper MTX.I like the Sidewinder but I won't be getting one.

I think youll change your mind when you see the huge weight savings and upgrades ...... especially the mountain sleds

Back