• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2019 Viper predictions

I think youll change your mind when you see the huge weight savings and upgrades ...... especially the mountain sleds
Cat has been taking 5 lbs a yr off their 800 for years until last year when they stripped 10-15 off with the ascender updates. The viper could lose 20 easily with some of these same parts bin changes.
On second thought, a 998 makes more sense as a 110hp ish option, make the 1049 more of a n/a hotrod that runs on premium, not 87. Then yammie could bump the compression, tweak timing and easily squeeze more ponies. Especially now that doo has a new legit 125hp 600 2smoke. The viper doesn't enjoy the hp to weight advantage the nytro once had in the 600 class. This problem could be easily fixed for 19!

Cat has been taking 5 lbs a yr off their 800 for years until last year when they stripped 10-15 off with the ascender updates. The viper could lose 20 easily with some of these same parts bin changes.
On second thought, a 998 makes more sense as a 110hp ish option, make the 1049 more of a n/a hotrod that runs on premium, not 87. Then yammie could bump the compression, tweak timing and easily squeeze more ponies. Especially now that doo has a new legit 125hp 600 2smoke. The viper doesn't enjoy the hp to weight advantage the nytro once had in the 600 class. This problem could be easily fixed for 19!

What do u mean the hp to weight that the nytro once had? I ran several different nytros against my viper the first year when it was n/a..same top speed between all of them, but in a drag race the viper was in a whole different league. I never had a nytro come close to mine in a drag race..heck I never even had an apex beat me in anything from 0-90..only difference is that I've taken the extra time to make some of the finer adjustments to clutching and suspension to make the sled work. As for 600 cc class, I also ran against several different 600's on occasion. Etec's, Poo's and the ctec 2..no comparison! The viper broke in with miles will make a legit 135 hp. Not bad considering Polaris could only get 145 hp out of their 800 up until a couple years ago and the dirty cat 800 ho engine only makes 150-153. When I ride my viper back to back with my cat 800 I don't really mind the extra weight of the viper, it still handles and rides amazing..but there's no denying that it's much more "fun" when there's 50-75 pounds less weight in front of the handlebars. With the torquey 4 stroke engine I'd rather sacrifice some power if it meant dropping 50 pounds off the front of the sled..plus a savings in cost would make it even better. For the guys that wanna go fast they can dump $15 k on a sidewinder then another $1500 to tune it plus all the other stuff to go along with it to be a really fast sled. I just can figure out for the life of me why it's so hard to make a nice basic sled that handles and rides well and sell it at a decent price.

The way is see this whole four stroke vs 2 stroke weight crap.... It shouldn't be 50 plus pounds.

Look at dirtbikes, 2 stroke are marginally... 12-15 lbs lighter then a 4 stroke.... But. What do the pros ride, huh yes a 4 stroke. Now with that being said, the longevity of the 4 stroke engine is no where near what a normal one is but will out last a 2 stroke still.

Why can't the same effects be brought over to the snowmobile side.

The way is see this whole four stroke vs 2 stroke weight crap.... It shouldn't be 50 plus pounds.

Look at dirtbikes, 2 stroke are marginally... 12-15 lbs lighter then a 4 stroke.... But. What do the pros ride, huh yes a 4 stroke. Now with that being said, the longevity of the 4 stroke engine is no where near what a normal one is but will out last a 2 stroke still.

Why can't the same effects be brought over to the snowmobile side.

There isn't a 50# difference anymore, I found an magazine article which had a LTX 137 Viper and Cat 129" 600 C-tec with similar shock packages as long term test mules and the weight difference was under 30#. The Viper out performed the 6000 on every acceleration test to boot and the C-tec 600 is/was the strongest 600 out , not sure how the new Doo 600 compares. The BIG knock they had on the viper, the Tuner skis, which drove down the handling rating. The Procross chassis just flat out weighs a good 15-20# more than the the doo/poo chassis but when comparing the Yamaha/Cat on the same chassis the weight difference between 4 stroke/2 stroke is actually pretty close. I'll take that extra heft too, the procross seems to be a pretty durable chassis!

My brother has a 2016 limited 6000(electric start ) an I have a 14 viper. I'm going to weigh them with pics, full fuel. An see the difference

Why would Yamaha do away with the 1049? That engine is just about perfect for what it is made for, being a mid-range torque monster that beats the crap out of just about everything else in its class. Now I would like to see new skis, better front suspension, and a better ECU. That might make me buy a new one.

Why would Yamaha do away with the 1049? That engine is just about perfect for what it is made for, being a mid-range torque monster that beats the crap out of just about everything else in its class. Now I would like to see new skis, better front suspension, and a better ECU. That might make me buy a new one.

If they can re cam the 998, bump up compression, make it more sponkey and make 140-150hp with it. Make peak hp at 8500. Why wouldn't they. One engine on the assembly line is cheaper then 2. And it leaves more room on the table to better the rest of the sled

Back