• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2025 Yamaha sled release

Would you buy a new ‘25 Yamaha sled?

• Yes, can’t wait to see the ‘25 models!

• No, not until they offer made in Japan models

• Yamaha still sells snowmobiles?

• Hopeful there will be a blue Cataylist

• Will wait until I can buy a 4-stroke Cataylist

• No, I moved on to another brand long ago

• No, currently moving to another brand

• I can’t take year after year of disappointment

• I’m forever faithful they will turn things around!

Results are only viewable after voting.
The Cat CTEC 2 has Intake and exhaust on the same side of the engine. No way any current Yamaha 4-stroke is gonna fit (where it should) in the Catalyst. Now if Yamaha came out with a new 4-stroke that could lay down low like it should, I'd sell the farm to own one. This is the one possible innovation that could put them back on the map.

Each manufacturer takes brand recognition and loyalty as mission critical. I don't see Cat worried about Cabela's stealing their brand recognition like they would with Yamaha. The problem for Yamaha is that without their quality reputation of their made in Japan units it opens doors for consumers to say "shag it" they're all the same now so I might as well look at a Doo or Polaris etc. Without the 998 would anybody be buying a Yamaha?

Each manufacturer takes brand recognition and loyalty as mission critical. I don't see Cat worried about Cabela's stealing their brand recognition like they would with Yamaha. The problem for Yamaha is that without their quality reputation of their made in Japan units it opens doors for consumers to say "shag it" they're all the same now so I might as well look at a Doo or Polaris etc. Without the 998 would anybody be buying a Yamaha?

Yamaha is a bigger brand than Polaris, Cat, and Doo combined with global recognition. If anyone has a bias towards Yamaha it will be very hard to get them to switch. If The catmaha didn't exist and I could not get the 998 I probably would own a doo but I honestly would not 'love it'.

I am going to be trying a BRP 900R next season. My Sidewinder has been a good sled. I would buy one again, but not without EPS. But after 5 seasons, this #*$&@ is ready for a different seat.

At the end of the day, a top of the line 900R is cheaper than a new 998, if I could even get one. If I don’t like it, I will be back.

I am going to be trying a BRP 900R next season. My Sidewinder has been a good sled. I would buy one again, but not without EPS. But after 5 seasons, this #*$&@ is ready for a different seat.

At the end of the day, a top of the line 900R is cheaper than a new 998, if I could even get one. If I don’t like it, I will be back.

You will be wishing for EPS.. :) The 900R steers heavy until you put on trackers, if you are good with trackers you should be good to go.

Good God I hope they do not make EV sleds. Or go all EV as they did with 4 stroke.

quality reputation of their made in Japan units
This is overblown in my opinion.
I do agree all the sleds are about the same now, except Polaris. The build and parts quality on Polaris units is terrible.
I am going to be trying a BRP 900R next season.
That is the sled I would try if I didn't have my sidewinder.

My wife has a 900T with woodys doolies and it steers just fine.

Have you pushed it hard. The 900R with its increase in power pushes more under pressure and needs more bite up front, that will make it heavier.

Japanese sleds had issues too. I just found that overall they were a better build sled over the long haul. This is the reason I still ride my RS Nytro.

Good God I hope they do not make EV sleds. Or go all EV as they did with 4 stroke.
Except for some very specific uses like at a ski resort or for certain commercial uses EV sleds are completely impractical. You thought a 4 stroke was heavy? Wait until you load up enough battery to go any decent distance. If the government mandates EV like they are eventually going to do for automobiles that will end snowmobiling for everyone. My guess is that it'll kind of be like light bulbs. You can still buy special purpose incandescent bulbs, but not general purpose. Special purpose vehicle will be able to use gasoline while general purpose won't. Now all of this is years and years away.

My wife has a 900T with woodys doolies and it steers just fine.

Its a fine sled for a wife or riding medium speeds. Once you start pushing it and need to set it up to rail corners, keeping the skis on the ground and not push is when it gets hard to steer. If you're happy with a pushing, ski lifting and mediocre machine it's fine. They are a well built sled, but not to the task of running the pace with little effort like a Cat/Winder does.

Put Doolies on it and its really bad at pushing corners, but also makes the steering much easier too, so its no wonder it steers easy.

Its a fine sled for a wife or riding medium speeds. Once you start pushing it and need to set it up to rail corners, keeping the skis on the ground and not push is when it gets hard to steer. If you're happy with a pushing, ski lifting and mediocre machine it's fine. They are a well built sled, but not to the task of running the pace with little effort like a Cat/Winder does.

Put Doolies on it and its really bad at pushing corners, but also makes the steering much easier too, so its no wonder it steers easy.
Hate to disagree with Mike regarding the handling of the BRP 900R, but I thought I'd chime in here since I picked up a Lynx Xterrian 900R this season and have logged some miles on it in various conditions. My Lynx comes with different skis (Blade XC+) than what Ski Doo uses. These skis along with HRP ProFile runners (most riders don't know about these) will absolutely rail the corners at all speeds and have very minimal darting with no pushing. Snow Tech magazine and many others rave about the handling in all conditions of the Blade XC+ skis on BRP sleds. I don't ride as hard as Mike but for my riding style and in the conditions I ride in I'm happy with the sled and the handling.

My wife rides a 2018 'Winder LTX-LE set up with a custom wide stance front and Slydog Attak skis. Her sled rails the corners with very light steering in all conditions. She loves the way that sled handles for her riding style.

It's all in the sled set up.

L4.JPG

Last edited:

If I don’t like it, I will sell it and pick up a 9000 Riot or an EPS SW.

Just to be clear, I’m not unhappy with my SW. It has been a good sled for me. I had a great ride on it today. It is a 129 with Fox Zero RC2 shocks. A real weapon on the trails. It is just after 5 seasons and 7,000 miles, I’d like to try something different.

Back