• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2950 miles on vector

Vector ER

Veteran
Website
www.daveysmotel.com
This sled is the best sled that I have owned. It has not used one drop of oil, but that track howl is not good on the ears, sure wish there was cure for that. Still on original hyfax, they are thin on the rear but have stayed that way for the last 1500 miles. The only other problem with my vector is about 25% of the time the belt will not come all the way back up into the secondary at stop signs etc. it will seat down about a 1/8 of a inch. When you try to go it like starting in second gear you have to give it a lot more gas and rev's higher to get it moving and you can smell the belt burning a little. I have tried to shim the belt, tried a new belt and wound the secondary tighter but still does the same thing. Clutch rattle has not gotten any worse, just waiting for the update kit to come in. Fuel mileage low 14.5 riding in powder and soft trail conditions to a high of 18.6 with the average around 17mpg. This is one awesome sled and will never go back to a two stroke. Sam :4STroke: :4STroke: :4STroke: :4STroke: :Rockon: :Rockon: :Rockon:

The only other problem with my vector is about 25% of the time the belt will not come all the way back up into the secondary at stop signs etc. it will seat down about a 1/8 of a inch. When you try to go it like starting in second gear you have to give it a lot more gas and rev's higher to get it moving and you can smell the belt burning a little. I have tried to shim the belt, tried a new belt and wound the secondary tighter but still does the same thing.

Any idea of a fix for this? Mine started doing this as well.

No idea yet on how to fix it, my riding partner has the same sled and his does not do it. Waiting till my clutch rattle fix is in at the dealers then will have them look at it and see if they have any ideas. I am going to have them call Yamaha and see what they say about it. Here's what Yamaha will say we have never heard of it you are the first one, I have heard that saying to many times. Sam

Mine did it today for the first time. For the first 1000+ miles I never had a problem.

Sound's like it is starting after a few miles, I wonder if you are getting a build up of belt dust on the shaft of the driven clutch. Pull it apart and spray it off with brake and contact cleaner, You may need to rub or wipe with a rag. Be sure not to use any thing that leaves any kind of oil or wet kind of film. Other wise try a CPR clutch kit, It comes with a different spring for the driven clutch and will back shift better. 1300 MI and no problem's so far with CPR kit and will put 5 length's on a stocker in 1000'. kviper

How does the primary look? Mine seems glossy, which I'd expect given what it does. But it also has a small ridge or groove near the center.. Not sure if that's normal.

Perhaps you need to try running a stiffer secondary spring or just replacing the spring in your secondary.
Considering the amount of torque that engine puts out, perhaps its wearing out the spring to the point where it isnt strong enough to hold the belt at the top of the sheave.
It seems like that is occuring after you have a fair amount of miles on the sled.
Measure your secondary spring and see if its still within specs.
Hebi

Back