• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2O11-2013 Apex SE

I came from a 2002 viper to a 2011 Apex SE this year. I love it. The power steering surprised me the most I think. My arms and chest don't even think about being sore, even after a full day in crap trails like today. And I still had to slow down and wait for the 7 ski-doo's. 1 poo seized up (doesn't surprise me, I overheated sitting at idle for 10 min and riding on snowless trails) Another poo broke a ski in half trying to do 100km/h going back to get his trailer to get the first poo.

Update: (reason for edit) After parting ways with the group, 2 more poo's went down.

I understand moguls suck on any sled I do I have since lowered my dampers on the ohlins to full soft and it seems to have helped a bunch but I am telling you guys the 800 R with Rmotion was making me look like a fool in those moguls. I was standing on the sled doing 80km/h while he was siting and pulling away. My sled handles just as good as the doo and is faster in a drag proven in that day we did twisties and he couldn't lose me and we dragged and I won twice in a row but the 10km's of moguls was where his sled shined. Fuel economy as well the DI 800 is really good on gas. So now it has me thinking of trading up. Not sure what to do waiting for Wednesday and money lol. SO I am soaking up the information on current Yamaha Platforms that I can potentially get.

This past weekend I found that by sliding as far forward as I could (hugging the tank) I was able to take the moguls much faster.... seated. Shifting my weight more onto the front floats, enabled the sled to handle the hits without bottoming and I was actually having fun in the rough stuff.

I would occasionally bottom out the skid prior to shifting my weight further forward. Now I can slide back on the seat through the smoother stretches and hug the tank in the rough sections. This is the only way I have found for the Mega Float with the current valving to give me a great ride in both conditions. Not saying it is on par with the R-Motion, but since making this change in my riding position I am even that much happier with the over-all performance of this sled.

2014?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 117
I sure hope Yamaha dumps the TCL and brings it up to Yamaha standards as far as build quality. I have a 2012 f1100 turbo and would not consider another. I was planning on a 2013-14 apex for next year.

We are a distributor for Elka Suspension. All of our shop sleds have either the Stage 1 or Stage 5 package including our Nytro SE which came stock with the Fox Float X shocks up front. In one word, Elka's are PLUSH. From long rolling moguls to quick choppy sections, the Elka's are flat out awesome, reliable and incredibly easy to adjust. I would also say that they have the most noticeable adjustment band of any shock we've ridden with distinctly different and independent damping ranges - in other words, if you adjust rebound on the Elka Stage 5's, it doesn't throw off your compression settings.

The thing about shocks as with skis or many other bolt ons - you don't know what you're missing until you upgrade from stock. Most riders will never experience a truly beautiful handling machine because they are limited to such a small window of adjustment and performance from the factory.

A shock upgrade of any kind is money well spent and easty to swap back to stock and sell when you move to a different sled. Whatever you decide, if you are interested in an Elka package, we're always here to help!

- Sean

I had a 06 apex gt and then just bought a holdover 11 se. Big difference. I think the floats are pretty good when setup properly. Seat is better, easier to manuever on. Eps is simply amazing. Sled is quieter. Better wind protection. I felt like the se handled small to med size stutter bumps and moguls better than my gt.

I rode with a 2011 XTX tried it I like the higher seat position I love the motor and sound it is amazing I felt like just the higher seating alone helped me ride better in rough stuff. The sled is awesome in fresh powder on trail. I still feel like a 128 track will benefit me more since I ride groomed trail mostly I just want something that is going to handle rough ungroomed high traffic beat up trails better than mine and I am certain an SE set up for me will be a big improvement over mine. I have a good opportunity to get a trade in 2011 SE with 4000km's on it. 9700 minus my trade 4500 for mine. I just need to save a few bucks probably go in October when the viper are available to order and get the Apex trade in.

best riding skid...rmotion....best groomed to mid bump sled standard mono.... good all around big bump procross the mega float has nothing but the biggest bumps on the standard mono...and I know of some who lost the air spring and had to limp back... standard mono is yamaha's best ride..

Back