• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

A - Arm Ball Joint

Sevey

TY 4 Stroke God
Website
www.ty4stroke.com
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2018 Sidewinder RTX
I have read posts how to get the a arm separated from the spindle, but are the lower a-arm ball joints not meant to be removed and pressed in?

I know if the upper a-arm ball joint needs replacing, a new a arm must be purchased - what about the lower?

I have the sled apart on the stand without the ski and shock - so you can get a hold of the spindle. There is no lateral play - fore/aft, but vertical (up and down) there is some movement in the joint. Sled just rolled over 12,000km this year. What are others seeing in ball joint life.

If this was my nytro i would have been putting my 3rd set of ball joints in it lol.
MS

I have read posts how to get the a arm separated from the spindle, but are the lower a-arm ball joints not meant to be removed and pressed in?

I know if the upper a-arm ball joint needs replacing, a new a arm must be purchased - what about the lower?

I have the sled apart on the stand without the ski and shock - so you can get a hold of the spindle. There is no lateral play - fore/aft, but vertical (up and down) there is some movement in the joint. Sled just rolled over 12,000km this year. What are others seeing in ball joint life.

If this was my nytro i would have been putting my 3rd set of ball joints in it lol.
MS
24000mi on left one. Right I bent arm so about 10000 on that one. All uppers are original. Way better than Phazer!

On the older upper a arms the bearing is swaged position. With the proper tools the old bearing can be cut out and new bearing swaged in place.
But for a $100 per upper arm it might be cheaper to upgrade to new.

Lower a-arm ball joints are not replaceable. I changed mine out at 12000kms. Tons of play compared to new. Royal distributing in Canada also sells aftermarket ones for cheaper than OEM.

24,000 mi? Thats a lot of miles. Impressive. What kind of play are in them now?
MS
None really. Same as first year. Bushings were all replaced though. Still play. Getting the Mainway Solutions setup over the summer.

I'm replacing both lower A-arms and wondering what the trick is to get the ball joint lock nut tightened up? The whole ball joint wants to turn. I'm guessing I need to get it pressed into the spindle some how. What's the trick folks. Thanks.

DMC

I'm replacing both lower A-arms and wondering what the trick is to get the ball joint lock nut tightened up? The whole ball joint wants to turn. I'm guessing I need to get it pressed into the spindle some how. What's the trick folks. Thanks.

DMC
Put weight on it, or use a non-locking nut first, then switch back to the lock-nut.

Back