• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

A/f sensor

nytroman20

Expert
I'm wanting to install an a/f sensor and gauge but don't wanna spend a fortune on it. So my question is, will any a/f sensor work with any gauge? Im thinking of getting one that installs on a car. I already have the bung installed, so if I found one to fit the hole would it read correctly? And would a gauge hook up to the sensor if I spliced the wires? I'll only be using it to fine tune my sled, so it won't always be installed. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

All O2 sensors are a M18x1.5 thread... so finding one that physically fits the bung you have installed is easy.

However, not all O2 sensors are the same.
There are narrowband O2 sensors (like the ones found in most cars), which are only good from 14.4-15.2 afr.

What you are looking for is a wideband O2 sensor (and display). Some cars do come from factory with a wideband sensors, but it's useless to us, as they have no display. The ones with a display are typically found as an aftermarket only for performance engines.

To get into a good AFR gauge, you're looking at about $200-300. Here are a few options;
AEM is a good all in one unit, for a decent price.
Innovate makes a few kits (LC-1 based) of slightly higher quality.
NGK makes one of the most reputable gauges out there, although it's not in a round gauge form.

I should note that all of the above are gauge type, permanent install units. To get into a portable tuner unit, you'd have to spend $500-600.

bought an autometer for 240$ last year to tune my sister's supra and it worked fine. you dont want the narrowband as it wont work past 14.4 and sometimes for performance you sometime go as rich a 12.5 (some go richer when turboed)

I run a narrowband on my MCX turbo apex. I know the MCX computer is doing its job adjusting the a/f in real time so the only reason I have the a/f gauge is to tell me when something is going wrong. I know there will be guys saying they are not good but if you only need to know when you have a lean burn issue for reliability the narrowband will fit the bill.

Back