• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

A Tale of an RX-1

helix

Dalton Industries
TY Advertiser
Vendor
Website
www.daltonindustries.com
Hi guys,just thought I'd give my impression of a year on the 05RX-1.

First and foremost I gotta say that after a bit of suspension tweeking and tuning on this machine I really got to like it .It had an awsome ride and handling,and great performance after some mods. Custom camshafts and porting(Fundy Powersports) made this thing really work and it was a lot of fun when people would say"you got a turbo in that one???"
I intend to keep this sled for next year.
That's the plus side...

Here's a few negatives(in my opinion anyway)

At less than 100 miles the crankshaft goes out. The Atlantic Canada service rep looks at it and says"Ah Ha!!!..those guys cut up this machine(porting in cyl head..oh no)...Dont give ANYTHING to those guys at Dalton,They are cut up those machine!!!!!,they are doing modifications etc.
LMAO...as I'm well aware of the fact that When you do engine mods,...dont count on warranty . ANYONE with even a bit of engine knowledge would know that porting a cyl head has little to do with the crankshaft....but anyway..its not like I'm not aware of the fact that I modified the engine,and its its not like I've never had to buy lots of engine parts when I've modded sleds before. .....I simply smiled and said to the dealer....tell your uptite rep to take a deap breath ,and you go ahead and order me a crankshaft,gasgets,oil pump rotors,a new set of rod bolts,and the corresponding journal and rod bearings. ....fine

Heres a fact..The toronto warehouse alone keeps at least 9 RX-1 cranksin stock at all times.Although they sometimes got caught this year running out of valve buckets(lifters),and blocks,and sometimes ran out of exhaust valves......

While its apart and waiting for peices(and realizing that the horrible Dalton Ind will have no warranty,LOL)...I send the block to be bored out a couple mm bigger and order pistons for the 1070(or whatever it was).

The thing gets back together and runs great(although I dont reccomend the boring as it gave very little gain compared to our best regular bore/ported set up)....... Continue on...sled still rips..work awsome....for 300 more miles.......CRANK goes out again.....

I call dealer..tell him to order me a new BLOCK,as it is wrecked this time...and a new rod,etc,etc,etc..

My engine guy notices on the wrecked block,that it NEVER had what are called Piston Squirts.These are a little nozzle like a main jet,that gets pressed into the crank journal passage,and squirt oil up to the pistons each time the crank goes round...on my block they are not there(and the casting shows that they NEVER have been there),..without them in there..instead of squirting a spray of oil up at the piston,the oil just flops up thru there....the squirt nozzles keep most of the oil pressure for lubing the crank...but without them in there,there is little for the crank...and presto we now know why the first one went.

Being an obvious defect,...I thought maybe we should show them again this block(I know dumb!) ....you can guess the answer,lol.

I guess that is what goes with mods,and like I said,its not like its the first time I spent money on engine mods...I guess what surprises me the most..is the Horribly negative attitude of this Yamaha service rep.
Personally,I talk to dealers all day every day,and when asked how this year is on a Yamaha,I tell them "awsome" and dont get into it. Probably the sales people at Yamaha think this is great,As I know for fact I have sold lots of sleds for them . I also never even bother to mention that I send plenty of parts to the Yamaha facility in WI for testing in the past at no charge to them for their testing of new models,as well as have helped many of their racers,..and I know none of that has relevance to this whatsoever...but I know that this particular rep has gone into at least one other dealer with a VERY negative attitude about my company and saying we cut up engines ...and make it sound like I was asking for somethig special from him or some kind of crooked deal....Which was certainly never the case.....None of this probably matters to anyone here.

I still love the machine,and intend to kepp it a while...But one thing is for sure...YAMAHA will be just fine without me

Back