• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Adding Heat to a Enclosed trailer

sab2022

Expert
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2023 Sidewinder S-TX GT
I have a small hybrid two place trailer. Wonder what my choices are for adding a propane heater to heat the trailer for short periods of time (maintenance, unfreeze sled, etc). The problem with a heater like a torpedo heater is there's no thermostat and they are all manual start so a temperature controller (inkbird) wont work. I really don't want and have no use for a Kerosene/Diesel fuel heater. Years ago I had a furnace in my Coleman pop-up trailer so I'm thinking a RV furnace might be a good choice (15,000 BTU's?). I 'd rather not place it on the roof unless I have t00. Welcome your comments

odds are a propane trailer heater would work. from looking at the pictures though, you will need to put panneling on the walls and ceiling at minimum to keep the heat in. i insulated the top of my enclosed united 25' enclosed trailer as my brothers heat cannon with a thermostat would not shut off until i did from heat loss. has panneling on wall already. my old trailer had panneling on the walls and ceiling and we where able to get it to 70 f inside with a propane buddy heater at -20 c .

The problem I have with fired heat in a small space is that it burns your oxygen away. I would opt for a 5kw construction heater. Most have a built in thermostat to maintain a constant heat

We have a rv heater in our 4 place. Atwood 40k. It will bring it to whatever temp I want but takes a while if it is below -10f. Anything above that it works great. Intakes fresh air in and exhausts out the bottom of the trailer. Hung it flat on the wall, ran a little pvc ductwork to spread out the heat and it works really well.

Thanks for your comments.
I'll have to figure out the insulation. I think the AL framing is 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" and 12" on center (need to confirm). Maybe foam board and bubble wrap. I cant staple but I can glue or use construction adhesive sparingly because it needs to stay in one place as you trailer the trailer. The other trailer on the inside has that white rough surface 1/8" fiberglass 4' x 8' sheets you find in bathrooms, so if I have to panel I use that stuff. HD sells the panels. Insulation is a problem I think I can solve with labor.

Steiner- if you can recommend a 5kw construction heater I'll take a look. I like built-in thermostats so I don't have to get off my butt to adjust the heat. I learned some have a remotes? I had the trailer built with an inverter, so I can run off the truck or from the house. I like something that blows hot air (instant heat) vice a convection heater but I'll be happy with what I get. It will only be on for a short period.

mysledblows - I started looking at the Atwood's, and there' another company called Suburban. After I starting reading about those, that's when I said to myself I better post and ask TY. Wonder where you punched the hole for the intake....I assume is thru the trailer wall with a screen and vent louvers. Wonder if you considered the roof however, a roof model needs to be waterproof (added cost). If its hung on the wall obviously it needs to be recessed that why I said the roof, maybe suspend it from the inside, dunno.

Suburban and Atwood are basically the same. I mounted mine flat against the wall so it only sticks out 6” or so. Not how they ever show them but this is the second one I’ve done that way without any issues. The first time I set it up in the driveway and ran it continuously for a couple hours to make sure it worked without starting anything on fire or tripping a sensor. Ran an intake through the wall and put the exhaust out the floor.

Thanks BTW Atwood appears to be bought out by Dometic

Depending on how much you plan on running it, you may go broke running it on propane. I know you said no diesel, but have you considered the Webasto heaters? A friend is installing one now and I'm trying to figure out how to install it in my 12' hybrid. Cheap to run and tons of heat. Also very inexpensive <$200.

edit - The Webasto knock offs are cheap.

I’ve got a 26’ enclosed Charmac and run propane heat (rv style, wall mounted furnace). It works well when temps are above -25f. Below that and the propane won’t flow. I’d recommend diesel heaters. Stay away from the Chinese junk online unless you just can’t help yourself. Go with a webasto, espar or planar brand for an air top type heater.

Saw a video compared Webasto to Chinese and the Webasto had all-round better quality and moisture free fittings. Muffler on Chinese model is a straight internal tube . I figure I can mount this higher then the sleds so it doesn't get hit.

Back