• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Aftermarket Apex Oil Tank review.

mbarryracing

TY 4 Stroke God
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2006 Yamaha Attak Turbo
2015 SR Viper RTX-DX
1996 Vmax 600XT
20160307_181609.jpg
20170117_085021.jpg
T2eC16ZzgFIdUEhmwBSdQQfvlDg60_57_zpsb86f7313.jpg
I had enough of cracking stock oil tanks, I think my boosted Apex is especially prone due to running solid motor mounts.
Pulled the trigger on one of these CFM Performance tanks, wow real nice piece!
http://www.cfmperformanceatv.com/untitled1.html
Although in the pic's it looks smaller, it's the same size as the stock stamped tank.
All the fitting locations and positions were spot on, no issues lining any lines up, dropped right in.

The only criticism I would have is the rubber gasket they provide for the steel bottom Oil Strainer / Screen pickup squeezes out and doesn't seal real well, weeped oil no matter how lightly I torqued it down. I ended up putting a skim coat of YamaBond 6B on it and problem solved. I would suggest that they simply revise the outlet flange and maybe machine in O-ring groove so you can simply use the original OEM O-ring.

Haven't had much snow here in WNY this season, again for a 2nd year, to get any hours and thermal cycles on this yet to provide a durability comparison, but just looking at it you can tell that is the last tank I will have to buy for an Apex. They offer a Nytro tank, as well, so if that is anything like this Apex tank its going to be nice too.
I would recommend them.

What does it hold for volume?

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

Yes, should have made the o ring groove. But mines been on for 3 years and it's solid. Stopped the seepage using pc7 around the bolt threads, as the holes are threaded into the tank and it seeps along very slowly until you get drips. The gasket isn't great either, but easy to make new ones. I should add, I used pc7 to seal my leaking original tank, and put it back on an ran it hard for a time...leakage stopped, bone dry.

What does it hold for volume?

It's supposed to be same as stock, but it seemed like it took a little more to fill after I drained the sump / oil pan for oil change at the same time then the manual showed.

It's supposed to be same as stock, but it seemed like it took a little more to fill after I drained the sump / oil pan for oil change at the same time then the manual showed.
At least it's not volume less like MPI's. I built mine out of carbon fiber so it fills in more of the available space, and the total volume is now right at 5qts.

So just some feedback on this tank.

Like I mentioned above previously, the only complaint and issue I had was the rubber gasket they provide for the steel bottom Oil Strainer / Screen pickup always weeped oil no matter what I did, even with a skim coat of Yamabond 6B... It deformed so much after the torquing the Oil Pickup down, it just wouldn't seal. And the weeping wasn't coming from the studs, as they are NOT thru-holes in the bottom boss.

So Justin at FPP helped me out by going ahead and machined a slight chamfer in the pickup port in the bottom boss of the tank and used a plain old thin black rubber o-ring slipped around the pickup screen base, replacing that gasket.

Completely dry now to this day, I've had no other issues.

Here is a crappy pic of the chamfer for the O-ring, before it got deburred...
20170211_102543.jpg

Back