• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Oil leak question for '06 Apex GT

jpilk99

Pro
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2006 Yamaha Apex GT
Bought this sled, with 9k miles, and seller said there was oil leak. I have airbox, battery, etc. out and looking at a new/clean oil filter. Some evidence of mouse/mice having a condo on top of the oil hose from oil tank to inlet at bottom of engine. Removed tank, hose, etc. (covered inlet to engine) and cleaned the heck out of everything. A couple questions:

I don't "see" any imperfections on the braid-covered hose, but that doesn't mean there isn't some pin hole somewhere, especially if the meeces pissed on it. I took hose completely off, cleaned it, stuffed my fat thumb in one end and then puckered up and blew as hard as possible in the other end. I detect no leaks/holes. Even still, thinking of getting a new hose in there, just to eliminate the possibility. Do I need to spend the $50-$60 for the "Yamaha" hose, (it's about 15" long"), and I can I put a ...hose in there for probably $3. Not trying to be cheap, just logical. I believe this is the hose in question: 8FA-13465-00-00 or number 30 on this page: https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/yamaha/snowmobile/2006/apex-gt-rx10gtl/oil-pump

Also, read a number of threads here and elsewhere that states the tank(s) can be the problem. I've wiped my down and inspected it thoroughly (for what that's worth) and see no seems opened, cuts, breaks etc. But, I do look at the 90-degree elbow at the bottom of the tank and wonder if that may have a leak. I removed it and inspected it, and don't see any issue(s), but, wondering about getting a new of these. I believe that's part number 8FG-13406-00-00 or #4 on this page: https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/yamaha/snowmobile/2006/apex-gt-rx10gtl/oil-tank . I also wonder if the rubber o-ring on this elbow joint may have been the issue...

So, just curious to get some input. I don't know if the previous owner just spilled oil during his oil change, but, I think not. I see no leaky residue at "6:00" on the bottom of the filter. Side note: When doing an oil change, and having drained the tank from the drain hole, what happens to the oil that barfs out of the oil filter connection? It looks like it just gathers in the belly of the sled. What do smart people do when changing oil/filter?

Thanks all!!!

Jay

When doing an oil change, and having drained the tank from the drain hole, what happens to the oil that barfs out of the oil filter connection? It looks like it just gathers in the belly of the sled. What do smart people do when changing oil/filter?
I always stuff an old rag below the oil filter and under the motor or used the access panel under the belly (ie. panel you remove to access engine oil drain bolt; not the oil tank drain bolt) and slide the rag up into the belly so it catches the oil. There's usually some oil that will get on the inside of the belly but is minimal and can be cleaned up.

As for the oil leak, I will venture to say it's your oil tank. I had to replace the one on my 08 and the crack was very hard to see. Here's some pics of mine but keep in mind this was after cleaning up the area where the crack was to prep for the repair.

OilTankCrackFront.JPG
OilTankCrackBack.JPG

They seem to crack in the area of the bottom mounting bolt. The tank is secured by two bolts at the top of the tank and then one bolt at the bottom right side of the tank. That's where this one was at.

Here's a pic of my tank before I cleaned the area with the crack.
OilTankCrack1.JPG

x2 on the oil tank leak. i have not had one leak yet between all the yamaha 4 strokes i have owned but i am due as the 2011 is at 20000 mi mark and has not cracked yet.

brother had the hose leak on his rx, but he did hit it with a drill bit when he installed his belly pan protector.

Back