• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Aftermarket skis....why?

I was going to buy the Powder Pros due to the fact that I read so many good things about them. Then I decided to order a set of Apex mountain skis instead. They seem very high quality and look almost identical to the Powder Pros. They are also cheaper because you only need to buy the bottoms. Everything else transfers over.

Attak, do they have the same 'footprint' (width, length) as the Powder Pro's? Seems to me that would be the most important factor for flotation.

I would definitely appreciate saving a few bucks at this point!

I looked at them at different locations and didn't think to measure. I was told the Yamaha ski is slightly wider. Not sure on length. Even thought the Powder Pro seemed like a very well built ski, the Yamaha one seemed better. I don't know about the weight either. My biggest concern was performance. I was very happy with my stock skis on my SRX until I went off trail. They sunk like a rock. I do a lot of boondocking now so these mountain skis will get put to the test. ;)!

I've run both PowderPros and the Simmons on my Warrior.

So far, I'm disappointed in the Simmons. The PPs float just fine in the deep, and are don't push nearly as much as the Simmons in the corners with the same setup.

Simmons can dart also, if you're riding in a pack of Simmons-equipped sleds.

I'm going to give them another few hundred miles in good snow, and if matters don't improve, the Pros are going back on.

Attak said:
I was going to buy the Powder Pros due to the fact that I read so many good things about them. Then I decided to order a set of Apex mountain skis instead. They seem very high quality and look almost identical to the Powder Pros. They are also cheaper because you only need to buy the bottoms. Everything else transfers over.
HI attak,i am interested in how well your new mountains work for carving tight turns on packed trails,plus all the other types of conditions we drive in,and you said that you just buy the ski bottoms and install them on stock set up,how much did they the bottoms cost ya,and was the install straight foward,i mean no cutting or grinding?? thanks Pete ;)!

HI attak,i am interested in how well your new mountains work for carving tight turns on packed trails,plus all the other types of conditions we drive in,and you said that you just buy the ski bottoms and install them on stock set up,how much did they the bottoms cost ya,and was the install straight foward,i mean no cutting or grinding?? thanks Pete

You don't need to do anything. Just remove your old ones, transfer the parts over and install the new ones. The bottoms are about $94.00 per side.
I don't have snow yet so I can't tell you how they work. :o|

stormchaser said:
machzed said:
we just put on pilots....see this thread..

dan

http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php?t=20071

How did you swap out for only 75.00.

that is what the dealer charged us...he took the stock GT skis back and we did the swap..most dealers who sell yam and doo would do this im sure...this was a dealer in WNY...the GT skis had nto be unused obviously.

he did do it for a great price though!

dan

How much top speed would I loose on my ATTAK with Doolys??

It seems less extreme than changing skis just to stop darting?
RASH

The Pilots are getting bad reviews from early results and the PP are a very aggressive ski that can be hard to turn due to their aggressiveness.

Jim

Back