• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

An honest opinion on Pilot Skis ?

Goddo

Expert
Hey guys,

A friend of mine has a pair of pilots that he's going to give to me. I've been curious about Pilot skis since I got my Nytro, and have read all the posts regarding installation etc.

Since flipping the rubbers, my stock skis have been okay on the trails (no darting, decent cornering). However, the stock skis are like pizza cutters in the powder. The front end has no flotation at all.

Are the pilots any better in the powder ?

Is it worth my time installing Pilots?

Finally, does anyone have the real answer for installation? Some people are using the stock Yamaha rubber while others are talking about modifying doo rubbers, combining both, shimming, etc.

Thanks guys.

Just to be clear, what pilots are we talking about? Skidoo just redesigned them and now they only have one keel/runner. They used to have. My friend considers the ones from his 06 rev worthless (the old style), but another friend just threw a pair from a XP (new style) on his rev and its great (I rode it, and it really rails and doesn't dart). I'm looking at getting a set of the XP pilots for my nytro, but people keep talking about putting the pilots on. Are they talking about the old design or the new?

i use the Pilot 6.9's. I love them. I've had several diff ski's and these seem to be the best for boondocking and trail riding....

I asked the same question you did UD as I have not seen the skis. My friend tells me they are the single runner with the option to drill out for the second.

Sounds like the new design to me.

Being less than 3/4 inch wider than stock Yamaha skis are they any better in the powder. Powder performance is my real concern. I won't go out and buy powderhounds or XT's this season, but If I improve my sled for the cost of a set of carbides, then I'll be more than happy.

Not sure in the deep. But just put a set on mine. I know they are going to rock!! THey were unreal good on my RX1!!

Skydog

Not pertaining to pilots, but my Slydog Race skis are awesome in the powder Goddo ! BIG difference in width and length too, over an inch wider, and they're lighter than stock, so better floatation is a no brainer ! Just thought I'd let you know ;)!

Attachments

• Copy of Highlands Dec 9th 2007 002.jpg
    Copy of Highlands Dec 9th 2007 002.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 108
Mine work great, they have the dual carbide design.

The new pilot ski on the XP is the same ski just only one carbide, it was to save weight. XP owners complain of darting now with the one carbide.

These babies just showed up today OHHH YAAAA !

Attachments

• DSCF1540.jpg
    DSCF1540.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 116
I have Pilot 5.7 skis on my Nitro RTX . First off the new Ski-Doo sleds dont come with the second carbide runner installed but it is the same ski as the older model . The first year out they had some wear issues but the newer ones have been upgraded to fix the problem . My Pilots came with the two runners but if you get a set off a 2008 Ski-Doo sled they only have one but the skis are made for two runners . They dont have the holes drilled out for the second runner but the ski is the same as the old ones you just have to drill the holes out and mount the second runner . Ski-Doo also makes a ski that is only designed for one runner and it is on there sno-cross race sled . Back to the Pilots on the RTX I am still getting some darting with these skies and they are poor in loose snow . On a set up trail they work good and the steering effort is lite . Just dont expect for them to be the cure all for the darting . I really like this Nitro but the darting is getting old . I have the skies shimmed ,have tried different toe settings with the skies and have been working on suspension settings al season so far without much luck getting rid of the darting . I know there are guys on here that claim not to have darting issues but i am not one of them .

Unluckydiablo said:
Just to be clear, what pilots are we talking about? Skidoo just redesigned them and now they only have one keel/runner. They used to have. My friend considers the ones from his 06 rev worthless (the old style), but another friend just threw a pair from a XP (new style) on his rev and its great (I rode it, and it really rails and doesn't dart). I'm looking at getting a set of the XP pilots for my nytro, but people keep talking about putting the pilots on. Are they talking about the old design or the new?

The 06 pilots had a weak point on the front of the outside runner and they would wear and crack. many cracked with only a few hundred miled on them. The 07 Pilots were much better in terms of wear. The 08's have the single runner but you can easily drill out the outside and move the cheap runner over and get a more aggresive for the center...Many are having great results with them...Hope this helps.

Back