• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

and there goes the LIMITER STRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

roberterin

Veteran
well it finally happened!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, my left limiter strap blew off today for no apparent reason while riding on a groomed trail at about 88mph........took 2 idler wheels with it and mutilated the inside lugs on the track where the drivers sit in. also the shaft type axle that the bottom of the limiter straps strap too has a rubber like membrane on it........WELL thats FU(&(d too!!!!!!!, peeled the rubber right off the shaft. my sled has 558miles on it, dealer JUST did FULL first service last week..........im not happy, not to mention the right strap is now also frayed like a strippers hair. 3 week back order on the straps, no washers, bolts, or nuts in stock at local yammi (i can get them at hardware store though), left calls on every service techs voicemail today (after 5pm) from toronto to flint michigan.

lord help yamaha if they don't fix me up. side note; a limiter from an 09 xtx is flat on the bottom, on the 010's is grooved out on the bottom skinnier so it CANT catch on those lugs or whatever the hell it caught on.......why didn't they recall all these things???...i know there is a thread on this but am i missing something????

ill post pics after i calm down a little,

rob

I've broke mine three times now but I've never had anything get messed up by it. I wouldn't worry about getting oem straps. U can make about any other trap work. Matter of fact I've got some jerry rigged straps in mine right now. They're made of some kind of belt type material.

Just replace mine this past Friday. Broke them last season too so luckily I keep two in stock at home. I ride an 09 xtx and both time now that my limiter straps went so did the two rods that run beside the rear shock bent like a V. And the lower end of the rear shock ends up with a real nice gouge out of it.

Yamaha won't do a thing for you. They wanted to replace some parts on my skid but they were no different than what came stock on it. With 27 miles on it the first strap broke, 300 the second. So I took matters into my own hands. I warned everyone on here to take a look at their straps but I got a bunch of guys saying I must be crazy and that theirs were fine. Well I told you so! Read my post http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php? ... highlight= 3400 miles and they look new. Ride on!

Im still thinking it has something to do with the center shock spring being too soft...

tight track and too soft of center spring/shock/valving/settings..

620 miles of hard riding and not a mark on mine?

just off the horn, sent pics to us dealer,..............there gonna fix it all!!!!!!!!. i just have to drive 6 1/2 hours there in order for it to be done. SH8*&T!!!!!, but i guess its worth it, im thinking a track is $1000CAN, without the rest of the parts!!!

rob

XTX design issue only.
My strap problems started 2009 after 2nd ride.
Do the double up strap for now.
It will stiffen and slow up the rotational and bending forces of the thin strap.
Then pull your chassis in the summer and weld on bigger strap traps on top shaft.
Cheers

When the hyfax gets too worn the inner track lugs "eat" at the cross member and straps. We have seen major issues on our 09 xtx-design flaw.

roberterin said:
well it finally happened!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, my left limiter strap blew off today for no apparent reason while riding on a groomed trail at about 88mph........took 2 idler wheels with it and mutilated the inside lugs on the track where the drivers sit in. also the shaft type axle that the bottom of the limiter straps strap too has a rubber like membrane on it........WELL thats FU(&(d too!!!!!!!, peeled the rubber right off the shaft. my sled has 558miles on it, dealer JUST did FULL first service last week..........im not happy, not to mention the right strap is now also frayed like a strippers hair. 3 week back order on the straps, no washers, bolts, or nuts in stock at local yammi (i can get them at hardware store though), left calls on every service techs voicemail today (after 5pm) from toronto to flint michigan.

lord help yamaha if they don't fix me up. side note; a limiter from an 09 xtx is flat on the bottom, on the 010's is grooved out on the bottom skinnier so it CANT catch on those lugs or whatever the hell it caught on.......why didn't they recall all these things???...i know there is a thread on this but am i missing something????

ill post pics after i calm down a little,

rob

Thats awesome. Stripper hair... ;)!

re

It's not just the 2009. My 2010 did it as well and the dealer did fix it as well as two wheels. I asked my dealer if this was common and he said not if your riding in enough snow. I guess 24+ isn't enough.

My cousin went to look at the 2010 XTX in November.
He was ready to buy and knew the trouble I had with my 2009 straps.
He took one look under the sled on the showroom floor and walked out the door.
Nothing was changed.

Anyone demo ride the new 2011 APEX XTX EPS model??
Have you looked under the front at the strap set up?
Anything different yet?

enticeraised said:
When the hyfax gets too worn the inner track lugs "eat" at the cross member and straps. We have seen major issues on our 09 xtx-design flaw.

based on this information I think I have an idea for a solution...

get a set of wahl brothers anti stab wheels which are basically three wheels and rod ...which you will use to replace the half shaft the limiters attach to...when the slides wear the wheels will keep the track and cogs away..should cost about $85 and might even improve performance..

I used the four wheel setup on my attak (with a center limiter strap) and it worked awesome...

I don't no about the center spring thing . I have no load on my spring and my straps are fine . I had load on it when the first set broke . but when I put the front TR springs on , hygear told me not to load the center shock spring.

sj said:
enticeraised said:

get a set of wahl brothers anti stab wheels which are basically three wheels and rod ...which you will use to replace the half shaft the limiters attach to...when the slides wear the wheels will keep the track and cogs away..should cost about $85 and might even improve performance..

I used the four wheel setup on my attak (with a center limiter strap) and it worked awesome...

That may work... ;)!
I've been running the Yamaha marginal snow wheel kit at the curve near this area.
So far very little wear on slides at the curve.
Much better than last year where that curve would flat spot almost instantly.
But I do like the sound of the anti stab shaft set up.

mach9 said:
sj said:
enticeraised said:

That may work... ;)!
I've been running the Yamaha marginal snow wheel kit at the curve near this area.
So far very little wear on slides at the curve.
Much better than last year where that curve would flat spot almost instantly.
But I do like the sound of the anti stab shaft set up.

I put Maverick extro drivers on a few weeks ago. I ordered the anti stab kit yesterday so I'll try it and see. :-o

Back