• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

and there goes the LIMITER STRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alright. I have a question for all you guys. Last year on my 09 XTX I had the straps break in mine also. They broke when I was riding and I didn't feel it until I went over a good sized bump. Anyways when the straps broke, the stabalizer bars snapped (looked like the V), the rear shock also was damaged and a few other small parts. Took it to the dealer and they told me physical damage and Yamaha won't cover it. I tried explaining to the dealership that because the straps broke the rear suspension overcammed resulting in further suspension failure. They pretty much called me a liar and told me I was a baja snowmobiler. Cost me over $1000 to get fixed. Talked to Yamaha a few times on the phone and they were basically going off what the dealership said and didn't want to get involved. Anyways I no longer have this sled, but see where people are getting everything fixed due to the straps breaking and resulting in further damage. Is it time I give Yamaha a call again and try to get some of my money back or am I just SOL???

Well Add me to the list i was checking mine out last night and what do you know straps are hour glassed at the bottom. I can't believe i have 10 miles on this sled and they are already done. Thanks Yamaha thanks a lot.

The words "hour glass" are confusing to some.

I just wanted to say...
If you buy new (OEM off the shelf) straps for the XTX...
They will have a factory cut Hour Glass shape that wraps around the bottom shaft.
This area is cut narrow (hour glass) in order to fit tight down in between the plastic spacers.
This cut shape is there on purpose to keep the strap narrow enough not to be eaten by the track lugs as they pass by.

Make sure your bottom strap adjustment is tight enough to keep the straps down inside the plastic shaft spacers.
These spacers keep the straps from moving along the shaft and out of harms way of the track lugs.

But... if you blow through the sliders and severly flat spot on the curve.
Your track lugs can eat away at the plastic spacers, and guess what...
Your straps might move over and get eaten up too.

It didn't feel like they were set down in ie with plastic spacers around it but i will recheck again tonight. I called the dealer to see if they had any in stock to have a spare and got the "we have never heard of this going on"

I have chewed through a couple straps already. I am currently using fender washers to try to stop them from moving on the lower shaft. I actually ran one with fender washers and one without this last trip and the one with the stock washers was showing wear while the other was fine. I am actually thinking about adding a set screw also to eliminate any chance of the strap moving into the inner lugs.

LeeKo said:
I have chewed through a couple straps already. I am currently using fender washers to try to stop them from moving on the lower shaft. I actually ran one with fender washers and one without this last trip and the one with the stock washers was showing wear while the other was fine. I am actually thinking about adding a set screw also to eliminate any chance of the strap moving into the inner lugs.

Thanks, any other ideas guys?

I've never had an issue with the lower mount strap area.
Mine don't move around, and my marginal snow wheel kit up front keeps the sliders thick.

All my issues came from the straps going up and over the top shaft.
Then they get eaten.

The only time I would think I'll have an issue with the bottom strap mount is if....
A sharp rock or broken pulling out stud etc... Jams itself under the strap in between the track and the shaft and cuts the strap.

enticeraised said:
LeeKo said:

Thanks, any other ideas guys?

For the lower mount...
What Yamaha should have done is form in a higher mount bracket eyelet into the rails. To allow for a secondary shaft that would hold our straps higher and away from the track.

Anyone want to design some brackets that we can bolt on and add in extra higher mount shaft?
Yamaha if you are reading... "My idea, I just don't have time for this concept right now."

enticeraised said:
I believe the easiest without modifying is the anti stab kit.

That is a good option to consider.
But maybe also keep or retro-fit the plastic spacers on the new anti stab shafts.
So that the straps don't slide over into the path of the track lugs.
Extra insurance if you know what I mean.

well

Well, while riding in the UP last weekend I picked up a very noticeable vibration, I stopped and tipped sled up and found the right strap broken. It looked like the bottom piece was missing alltogether. Changed drive belt and vibration still persists. Felt like track lug rubbing somewhere. I looked several times, after 200 miles of this I'm afraid what I will find when I pull it up on the lift this week..... funny cuz the vibe would come and go. Does the bolt and bottom piece of strap spin around and rub on the inner track?

Ive gone through two sets of Yamaha straps(1st set in less then 450 miles) and 3 or 4 sets of homemade straps that I made out of 2ply belting material I bought from Tractor Supply.
I dont have a deffinite fix yet, but I am experimenting with a few different Ideas.
1) I wrapped duct tape around the lower shaft to help keep the straps centered between the lugs.
2) Im using square stud backers to help keep the slack out of the lower strap.
3) I widend the 2-plystrap in the center area to give it strength because the first set I made, broke at one of the adjustment holes.One strap broke at an adjustment hole where I was not using a stud backer and then the other snapped because it was taking all the rebound force on its own.Both straps looked good at the bottom ;)!
4)Ive slowed the front shock rebound

My next set will be made from after market limiter strap material that I can get from my local parts supplier.It should be stronger than the 2ply belting material that Ive used.
I will also look into the anti-stab kit or an offset lower shaft to help keep the strap away from the lugs.

I brock my left one today also at the bottom around the shaft. it look like it must rub on the lugs of the track. yamaha has to fix this problem soon. Dealer said they will cover it.

Back