• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Any former triple triple owners here

Have had some triples,SX, Viper SX, And SRX.
Triple triple, SRX was only one stock with triple pipes, but I turned my 97 SX into a triple triple by adding some Aaen triple pipes and a few motor mods. With it’s full two inches of suspension, or less, and being so low to the ground, I use to come into a curve at 85 and out at 105. That was a fun sled that really powered through corners and left no snow on the corners if I wanted! As said my Winder does everything 10x better, except powering through corners!

Could that SX run with my Winder? Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha..........

So how does a winder corner compared to the matrix and axys sleds? It's roughly a 100lbs heavier so that has to benefit. Like I said my triple triple is just a point and shoot sled.
The Winder is on par for cornering with its competitors in this category.
In addition, if you think your XCR800 is fast(and they are), wait till you grab a handful of these tripe turbos, especially if tuned!!

Have had some triples,SX, Viper SX, And SRX.
Triple triple, SRX was only one stock with triple pipes, but I turned my 97 SX into a triple triple by adding some Aaen triple pipes and a few motor mods. With it’s full two inches of suspension, or less, and being so low to the ground, I use to come into a curve at 85 and out at 105. That was a fun sled that really powered through corners and left no snow on the corners if I wanted! As said my Winder does everything 10x better, except powering through corners!

Could that SX run with my Winder? Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha..........
I too added the Aean triple pipes to my 97 SX 700 , and the long travel suspension upgrade .
That was a fun sled '
Not only did the pipes give better performance , it also got way better mileage .
But Love my Sidewinder.

I too added the Aean triple pipes to my 97 SX 700 , and the long travel suspension upgrade .
That was a fun sled '
Not only did the pipes give better performance , it also got way better mileage .
But Love my Sidewinder.

They were well known as under performers in the 700 class of that era. So when Olav Aaen made the cover of the Snowmobile Tech magazine that year and wrote a great article about How to wake up that 700 SX triple, I did exactly what he stated. Bought his triple pipes, and modded the motor to his specs. Cut .250” from the bottom intake side Jug Skirt, made some indentation on the jug intake wall where the jug wall was too close to the intake, add a set of V force with .250” spacers, remove one of the triple metal head gaskets, re-jet the carbs, and clutch for 9250 rpms. Best of all, his pipes were much lighter then the original exhaust system, and thus the sled not only went from getting beat by everything to being a contender, but it handled much better with it’s lighter front end!

Ah yes, the age of triple triples 2 smokes.
Problem is now, grab a handful of power at my acclaimed 270hp, and you better have some room or else! My Winder triple is just a crazy handful that demands respect on any trail or road!

Love my triples!!!

I’ve had a few triple triples(2 Srxs,Mach z and even a Quad piped VMax 4 and I can tell you they don’t even come close to the ride and handling of a Winder once dialed in. My 98 SRX was probably the best handling of the bunch but they all rode pretty bad otherwise. Fortunately I was young and thought they were the greatest things on snow.

They were well known as under performers in the 700 class of that era. So when Olav Aaen made the cover of the Snowmobile Tech magazine that year and wrote a great article about How to wake up that 700 SX triple, I did exactly what he stated. Bought his triple pipes, and modded the motor to his specs. Cut .250” from the bottom intake side Jug Skirt, made some indentation on the jug intake wall where the jug wall was too close to the intake, add a set of V force with .250” spacers, remove one of the triple metal head gaskets, re-jet the carbs, and clutch for 9250 rpms. Best of all, his pipes were much lighter then the original exhaust system, and thus the sled not only went from getting beat by everything to being a contender, but it handled much better with it’s lighter front end!

Ah yes, the age of triple triples 2 smokes.
Problem is now, grab a handful of power at my acclaimed 270hp, and you better have some room or else! My Winder triple is just a crazy handful that demands respect on any trail or road!

Love my triples!!!
I didn't do the work to the engine you did , but I did do the gasket and jetting , as suggested by Olav.
The new set up was also lighter , as I recall .
Your set up must have given the SRX's of the day , all they could handle , for sure.
I tell guys , that if I had the Winder back in the day when I was younger and more invincible/ braver/ more reckless /whatever you want to call it , I may not be alive to tell them today how great this sled is !
I have lost some of my nerve thru life lessons , and know that the power of the Winder MUST be treated with the utmost respect .
My first ride without studs on a snow covered road , taught me that this baby was the real deal !

I didn't do the work to the engine you did , but I did do the gasket and jetting , as suggested by Olav.
The new set up was also lighter , as I recall .
Your set up must have given the SRX's of the day , all they could handle , for sure.
I tell guys , that if I had the Winder back in the day when I was younger and more invincible/ braver/ more reckless /whatever you want to call it , I may not be alive to tell them today how great this sled is !
I have lost some of my nerve thru life lessons , and know that the power of the Winder MUST be treated with the utmost respect .
My first ride without studs on a snow covered road , taught me that this baby was the real deal !

Yes, and that is why my next sled after the SX, (SRX) received some Bender mods!

Totally agree with this statement. Most sidewinder I see or ride with have clutch issues. Breaking secondary springs is top on the list. I haven't had issues with Cat clutches and lots of mileage. The cat clutches are snappier and dont have any belt issues either.(Have had 8 cats in our group over the years). To each their own in this regard but I wouldn't say the winder clutches are Better.

Can you please elaborate on this statement? "Winder clutches are better than cat."

IMO, if you read TY comprehensively about clutches, there are plenty of opinions either way.
If you're referring to the TCat Team primaries and cracking issues, yes that's a problem. However some never crack; some crack early. I think you'll read the general experience is the Team primary just plain doesn't wear out on the TCat. Cracking has been the only real issue. I've seen many Cats with Team primaries that had 5-10,000 miles and the clutches were still like new. Spiders still tight, no slop or wear. In general, they will last much longer than the stock Winder primary in most cases. There are many many reports of Winder primaries with continuous roller and weight bushing problems. Some last only a few hundred miles, some last more. Both tuned and stock.
IMO, there are just as many votes to say Cat primaries are better as there are to say Winder primary is better, depending on what is important to you.

Own an XCR 800 and thinking about selling it and picking up a triple turbo, can't decide new or used. I only ride this and an edge 600.

Upon reading most of the stuff I have figure out the following
-Chaincase and driveshaft gear need attention every year
-replace tuner skis
-Winder clutches are better than cat.

With that being said I only ride trails, I don't do mountains or deep power but I love railing through the woods and smooth field on the xcr. It's heavy to the point where it feels like an F1 car, just point and steer through the corners not much leaning around. The edge is a lot more active but the 800 tires me out a bit more.

Anyways, I've ridden a few rider forward sleds and for the life of me I can't get them to turn like my old trailing arms. I've hung way off them and still, I just plow right through the turn. I went riding with a group of skidoo's and was able to keep up no problem.

How does the triple turbo handle compared to the old iron in the woods? I'm not really concerned about beat to #*$&@ trails because I typically wait till the groomer goes by in the week and let the triple sing. I don't ride late Saturday or Sunday because morons are out and just ride during the week. Do they tire you as much as the old iron? I like the exercise I get from the old sleds but I need something a bit more reliable and good handling in the woods.

Also is there a good breakdown between the different winder models, the max track I'm look at is a 137 and would like a heated seat and the rebound adjustable shocks.
Well, started with a formula III teiple, then several Mach Z triples, one heavily modified. And we beat the hell out of them, and yes, they handled great. Lots of work on shocks and springs so I could survive Tug Hill saturdays. Went to the rx1''s in 03, and I could pass my 01 Mach Z on Salmon River reservoir, about 6 miles, wide open...no worries for the first time..no 2 stroke. Friend who bought it was concerned...but held it there....lol.
Anyway, rider forward sleds absolutely ride more comfortable but cannot handle corners as well as the old low slung iron. Physics. I have my sidewinder strapped tight on the front arm to keep the sled flat, and it's pretty good the last 2 years. In the past I'd be sore for 3 days after a mogul filled day on the hill, now, just a little sore neck from my helmet,and that's probably age related. I still have my apex, hygear and wrp seat, and it works well, but the sidewinder is really the best sled I've ridden, all things considered. Fast, comfortable, handles well, good mileage, never let me down, but did several updates like the chaincase. Looks good too. Doesn't bottom out either like the falling rate yamahas did.
Oh, and weight? Trail's and big fields here, and to me, no issue. I also had an MXZ twin with the machz, and at 80 mph in a field, the MXZ was NOT confidence inspiring, but the Machz was so stable, hard to believe....the sidewinder is sick....100 mph....comes so fast and so smooth, it's almost dangerous!!

Most sidewinder I see or ride with have clutch issues. Breaking secondary springs is top on the list
By no means saying which brand clutch is better. Or trying to argue which brand clutching is better. BUT no way is broken secondary springs top of the list. Incorrect offset, bad primary and OR secondary rollers and belts slipping secondary due to not enough side pressure YES.. Blowing belts apart because of the things I mention YES. But broken secondary springs is not common on the 3 roller Yamaha Sidewinder secondary.

Last edited:
I've gone from a 2001 SRX 700 to a 2006 Apex GT to a 2015 Viper LTX SE turbo to a 2017 Sidewinder LTX SE w/270hp tune. Every upgrade rode better, handled better, and was faster than the previous sled. The Viper & Sidewinder are similar... but my current setup on the Sidewinder handles & rides better then I ever experienced with the Viper.

Back