• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Any tricks to getting a sled unstuck if your alone?

Some time you cant rock it because the nose is the part stuck. I have had the front end of my phazer stuck twice this year. first time was entering a ditch and the front dove in. The second was the going up a hill at witch I need to side hill well the rock hard snow cover and my sled was stuck sideways because it collapsed.. I could not drive up because the front is now stuck an down there is a bridge and a tree in my way. If it soft snow I learned to get of the sled and walk it up the hill if I nee o angle it.

Besides a shovel, pulling from the ski, ext. I in the past have uses a rope run across the back if the neck Run the rope under the bumper, then squat, run across back and hold the rope with your hand.
I also use for arm forklift under the track because then the is no free pla
y.

mtotguy said:
Grap one of the ski loops and roll the sled on it's side. You're going to need to clear some snow away from one side to get it over. You can clear enough just using your hands. Sit next to the sled and use your feet to kick snow into the trench your track dug. Roll the sled back upright. Break a path in the snow ahead of your sled. Start your sled and drive out. I've done this a dozen times. It's a fair amount of work but I've never had it fail.

This is the technique that I use. If it is really stuck roll it one way and pack the snow under it, and then roll it the other way and do the same. Packing the snow in front is critical unless you just want to repeat the process.

When driving out, don't simply pin it. For every situation there is an optimal amount of throttle to get the most traction. Only experience can teach you this. Also, rocking the sled from side to side can help a lot, but you also need to get the feel of this through experience.

Most important is to take your time and do the prep job the best you can for the first try. Don't think you have to get it unstuck right away, enjoy the moment. Getting stuck is just another part of the experience, accept it and it will go better. Take your time with the snow packing and don't get overheated. Take your helmet off and possibly your jacket depending on temps and how much work you have before driving it out.

Remember that even getting a sled unstuck beats working any day.

i put my hmk sheval right on the side of my tunnle, i drilled a hole in the side of the tunnle put a bolt in it, drilled a hole in the shevel, to hold it on then drilled a small hole in the bolt to put a pin in to hold in on, i also used a pease of wire to atatch to the pin so i didnt loose it, the other end i just a like a clamp to hold a broom on the wall, bolted on the tunnle it works great, i could send you a pic

For the situation ive been in lately it sounds like the clear one side,tip,pack, rock to other side,repeat,clear front method would work best!I know to pack the front.Patience is something ill need pills for.Gotta work on that!I also need to strip right up front before i combust.Ive gotten soooooo hot almost every time.Reduces already rare patience even more!A picture of that shovel setup would be awesome!Thanks guys!

heres one

Attachments

• DSC02075.JPG
    DSC02075.JPG
    127.1 KB · Views: 169
that piece of string idea to pull throttle while pulling ski sounds great would like to see a picture never stuck a sled without foolishly burying with throttle that a ski tug wouldn't get you out.

Wow, awesome thread, great advice guys cheers . This will be my first season in a new area,where we just moved .Most of my riding I’ll be alone and I’m planning on packing a shovel.

This is the technique that I use. If it is really stuck roll it one way and pack the snow under it, and then roll it the other way and do the same. Packing the snow in front is critical unless you just want to repeat the process.

When driving out, don't simply pin it. For every situation there is an optimal amount of throttle to get the most traction. Only experience can teach you this. Also, rocking the sled from side to side can help a lot, but you also need to get the feel of this through experience.

Most important is to take your time and do the prep job the best you can for the first try. Don't think you have to get it unstuck right away, enjoy the moment. Getting stuck is just another part of the experience, accept it and it will go better. Take your time with the snow packing and don't get overheated. Take your helmet off and possibly your jacket depending on temps and how much work you have before driving it out.

Remember that even getting a sled unstuck beats working any day.
This is similar to what I have done. I un bury the ski tips and tip the sled over to like a 45 degree angle. Then standing off the side of the sled and grabbing the handle bars with both hands, throttle the sled and walk it out of the hole. G.B.

Back