• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Anyone else ever lose a slide?

ApexerER

Expert
I was snowmobiling in the Mt Tremblant park this past weekend and threw a slide off my sled. I have never had this happen and I don't know anyone that this has ever happened too. I have owned a couple Skidoos, a Polaris and now the Apex and never had any issues before. I changed the slides at the begining of the season last year and put about 2000 miles on the sled with no issues. I pulled the suspension out tonight and the screw that holds the slide in was broken off in the slide rail. I drilled it out and totally screwed up the threads. I think I am going to do what Skidoo does and drill a hold through the rail and use a screw and a nylon lock nut. My rail is a little worn on the front curve from the 65 miles I put on the sled getting it back to the truck but I think it will be ok....Anyone else have any issues with this or ideas on how to make sure it doesn't happen again.

That sucks, but I have heard of this happening on occasion. I think your solution is the best option.

Do I understand this right...you rode without a slide for 65 miles?

Yes, about 65 miles, maybe a little farther.........It was in about 18" of groomed powder and believe it or not did very little damage. I don't plan on replacing the rail....

happen to me 2 year ago on my rx-1 your doing the rigth thing by drilling it out and do it like the doos check out rockerdans post idlers 2 bolt mounts mono skid fix its got great up grades this will help

i think the screw will crack on the first change out due to the loctite the factory uses - hard to know if it happens, but i've had to put a lot of pressure on some to get them out - best bet is to replace the screws if they come out hard.

ApexerER said:
I was snowmobiling in the Mt Tremblant park this past weekend and threw a slide off my sled. I have never had this happen and I don't know anyone that this has ever happened too. I have owned a couple Skidoos, a Polaris and now the Apex and never had any issues before. I changed the slides at the begining of the season last year and put about 2000 miles on the sled with no issues. I pulled the suspension out tonight and the screw that holds the slide in was broken off in the slide rail. I drilled it out and totally screwed up the threads. I think I am going to do what Skidoo does and drill a hold through the rail and use a screw and a nylon lock nut. My rail is a little worn on the front curve from the 65 miles I put on the sled getting it back to the truck but I think it will be ok....Anyone else have any issues with this or ideas on how to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Have not experienced on the Apex, but that is exactly what happened to my buddy's Polaris. The screw sheered and the slide went about 6 inches out the back window of the track and was making a horrible noise. Fortunately we were only about 5 miles from a local dealer that had plenty of hyfax. We did the same thing you did by drilling out the screw and installed a counter-sunk screw with a nut - the way it should be!

ApexerER said:
Yes, about 65 miles, maybe a little farther.........It was in about 18" of groomed powder and believe it or not did very little damage. I don't plan on replacing the rail....

How are the track clips?

Yep had the screw break off and the hyfax slid back about 4". My wife was just riding it around some of the fields by our house when it happened so it didn't do any real damage. I ended up trying to drill out the old screw and use a screw extractor and of course that broke off in the screw so I was screwed. I ended up drilling a new hole farther forward and putting in a new screw and it has held very well for over 4,000 miles.

what happens is this........

on DOOS they use a NYLOCK nut,so the screw does not loosen from vibration.

on our yammies they use an idiotic design of tapped rail and screw,....the screw loosens and then the clip going by shears off the screw leaving half of it in the rail...nice design yammie!

I never had this happen to me,but read about it many times and always thought the design sucked...even with LOCTITE some have had this happen.

my fix was to do what BRP has done for as long as I can remember.

HOW TO LINK:
http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php? ... light=mono

Dan

I lost one last season. The screw head sheared off and out the back it came, while I was doing about 70 mph.
I felt a weird bump like wobble on a smooth run, looked back, didn't see anything, and kept on riding. Glad I was on my way home.
I had parked my sled in the garage and a few days later I just happened to notice the rail looked a little funny, like it was taller or something. That's when I realized the hyfax was gone and I was seeing more aluminum.
Didn't appear anything was hurt. Replaced both hyfaxes and kept riding.

Yep happened to me after a speed run on ice... exept my slide on one side stuck to the track clips... pulled ahead... slide fell off right beside me. Bolt had sheard off... used an e-z out... replaced slides and bolt... not prob since. just need to watch in lower snow conditions where i ride...

but do like dan's fix... i think i will do that next time skid is out...

""""thinking outside the box"""" is a great thing... cheers!

Yeah i have it happen 2 or 3 times. I stopped putting the slides on with WD-40 and use new screws each time I change em now. Once the dang thing wrapped around the inside of the suspension I had to drop the rear skid on the trail to get it out and ride to Yamaha shop to get a new one, luckily it was only about 5 miles. :o|

This happened to my uncles Apex. He didn't know it happened and was riding in the UP on a long trip. This fall as I was doing pre season checks, I pulled the skid and the rails were destroyed. Had to replace both rails and other parts. Total=$500. At least we have some techinical knowledge and was able to do all the work. Probably saved and extra $600 on the labor.

I had it happen to my Apex long track when in deep snow. Fixed it the same as in the picture. Should never of done it but there is to much pressure up front on the curevature of the rails.

Back