• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Anyone sucessfully Fix the Wet Boot Syndrome

I agree with driftrunner, after my first ride and a soaking wet left side I took it apart to see a big gap in the panel. I may also put some prefilter on the inside of the footwell.

Take your side panels off of the left side. Look where the seem of the plastics comes into contact with the bulkhead of the sled. I used some foam tape that I had laying around in the garage. I had previously used it underneath a topper for my truck to prevent it from scratching the bed rails. This stuff is easy to cut and is cheap for a big roll of it.

Anyway I have over a 1000 miles on it with this sticky foam tape and have not had a wet foot since. I think I actually doubled it up in a couple of spots. I taped from the heat exchanger to right under where my foot would be resting.

The nice thing about the tape fix is that it should come off pretty easily if Yamaha ever offers us a fix to the problem..

Should take you like 5-10 minutes of your time and no more wet foot or pant leg..

Like crf250dude and driftrunner said before, the water/ice seems to be coming through the slight opening below the plastic side panel where it meets the frame/bulkhead. In the shop we started putting hvac tape behind the clutches before the footwell. I have siliconed the body panel also but I have one better now. I take the side cover off and find some thin foam tape and install where it meets together. I hope yamaha comes up with an updated panel or kit to install something there like a rubber strip that rivets to the panel. Have fun with it.

driftrunner said:
Like I said before silicone below secondary clutch wear the plastic and the frame meet. A nice neat bead does the trick and it is flexible. Helloooo!

Today I had my skid out and my secondary off, and sure enough, I could see light coming in from this spot. so, I siliconed 'er all up and I hope this is the end of the dreaded wet boot syndrome once and for all.

I know the klims made it tolerable, but to identify the root cause of the issue, and address it, now we're talkin.

no wet boots

I TRIED TO GET THE BOYS AT THE DEALERSHIP TO DO WHAT DRIFTRUNNER DID

THEY DID NOT DO THAT:HOWEVER MY BOOTS DO NOT GET WET NOW

THEY BLOCKED OFF THE HOLES ADJACENT TO YOURE FEET

THEY ALSO PUT SOME WEATHER STRIPPING BETWEEN THE SEAT AND THE TUNNEL DOESNT STREAM DOWN THE TUNNEL SIDES AS MUCH NOW

crf250dude said:
Take your side panels off of the left side. Look where the seem of the plastics comes into contact with the bulkhead of the sled. I used some foam tape that I had laying around in the garage. I had previously used it underneath a topper for my truck to prevent it from scratching the bed rails. This stuff is easy to cut and is cheap for a big roll of it.

Anyway I have over a 1000 miles on it with this sticky foam tape and have not had a wet foot since. I think I actually doubled it up in a couple of spots. I taped from the heat exchanger to right under where my foot would be resting.

The nice thing about the tape fix is that it should come off pretty easily if Yamaha ever offers us a fix to the problem..

Should take you like 5-10 minutes of your time and no more wet foot or pant leg..

I did exactly this and made zero difference, foot and pant still soaked :o|

Re: no wet boots

superschlamper said:
I TRIED TO GET THE BOYS AT THE DEALERSHIP TO DO WHAT DRIFTRUNNER DID

THEY DID NOT DO THAT:HOWEVER MY BOOTS DO NOT GET WET NOW

THEY BLOCKED OFF THE HOLES ADJACENT TO YOURE FEET

THEY ALSO PUT SOME WEATHER STRIPPING BETWEEN THE SEAT AND THE TUNNEL DOESNT STREAM DOWN THE TUNNEL SIDES AS MUCH NOW

Which dealer did it ? Need to find out what they did ?

jojo567 said:
Guys all you have to do is block the perforated holes and your promblem will be solved, done this 10 customers machines with 100% fix.

yah, but now the you have more or less made the motor bay a sauna.

it would be better to have cool and dry clutches IMO...?.

I've had my Yamaha skid plate on for a couple rides and it didn't prevent the wet foot. I was hoping it would cover up the side panels a little better.

I don't like the ideas that block air flow. That will just increase your belt temps. I think it is caused by the radiator and the hot air that is purposely ducted out over you. This melts the snow on your pants and boot and gets you wet.

I've watched the left footrest and have never seen water blowing out. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but I had a heck of a time trying to ride and stare at my left foot without running off the trail LOL.

I know from experience that if you reach down with your bare hand, while riding along, you can feel the left side is warmer than the right.

I think any fix is going to require different shrouds, ducting or both.

Back