• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Apex Burning oil

Dan Jalbert

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
Yamaha Apex
Viper
V max 4
I recently installed a used FPP low boost kit on my Apex. All seems well other then the fact it starts to burn oil shortly after it started running.
Is there supposed to be an oil restrictor in the feed line to the turbo? Any other thing I should look at?
Thx in advance.

I believe it’s a ball bearing turbo, but the gt2554 is offered in both normal bearing and ball bearing configurations. Make sure the drain line to the pump has no kinks or high spots. If it’s a used kit it could be likely the shaft rings are worn or carbon buildup has them sticking.

Those kits used the standard ball bearing Garrett GT25's, so yes there should be a restrictor in the oil feel line, specifically in the rubber coupling section that is located along side the gas tank.

I agree, make sure the electronic oil scavenge pump that mounts in the nose of the sled is pulling oil from the turbo and pumping it back to the top of the sled's main oil tank.

When you figure it out, you will have to pull it all apart and clean the oil out that is now in the tunnel charge tube, front charge tube, and exhaust.

Those kits used the standard ball bearing Garrett GT25's, so yes there should be a restrictor in the oil feel line, specifically in the rubber coupling section that is located along side the gas tank.

I agree, make sure the electronic oil scavenge pump that mounts in the nose of the sled is pulling oil from the turbo and pumping it back to the top of the sled's main oil tank.

When you figure it out, you will have to pull it all apart and clean the oil out that is now in the tunnel charge tube, front charge tube, and exhaust.
Any idea what size the restrictor is?

20160218_185855_LI_RS.jpg

Dan,

If I recall correctly it's slug with around a 0.035" orifice, similar to a round carburetor main jet.
It came from FPP clamped inside the center of rubber coupling section of the solid steel oil feed line where it bends down from the hoop to go along the left side of the gas tank, unless the previous owner changed that configuration...
Did you verify the electric oil scavenge pump is flowing oil back to the top of the oil tank?

Last edited:

Back