• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Apex fuel pump

Garyami

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
Apex GT, FX Nytro
Hi all, having a few self inflicted problems with my 2006 Apex ER. Here are the series of events leading up to my grief. All started with a dead battery. Put a boost pack on it fired it up, unhooked the boost pack and it died. Battery is toast. Go to start sled again with leads crossed, sled is dead. Fast forward... Install new battery, replace main fuse, turn on key, fuel pump primes, but no power to starter now. Bypassed the starter relay with a screwdiver and just arked, put positive jumper to starter lead and sled turned over, but now no power to fuel pump.

So I replaced the starter relay, sled turns over, starts and runs for 3 seconds and dies. Fuel pump not priming or making a peep, the relay just clicks. Started troubleshooting, checked the 10 amp fuse at the starter relay, swapped out the relay, still nothing. Is it possible that trying to bypass the starter relay cooked my fuel pump? I guess the next step in troubleshooting would by to pull the seat off and test for voltage at the fuel pump.

Another odd thing is that i plugged the speedo and headlight assembly back in, guages work, but the headlights don't come on when the power is turned on.

Any suggestions? Thanks for any help you can give me.

Hi all, having a few self inflicted problems with my 2006 Apex ER. Here are the series of events leading up to my grief. All started with a dead battery. Put a boost pack on it fired it up, unhooked the boost pack and it died. Battery is toast. Go to start sled again with leads crossed, sled is dead. Fast forward... Install new battery, replace main fuse, turn on key, fuel pump primes, but no power to starter now. Bypassed the starter relay with a screwdiver and just arked, put positive jumper to starter lead and sled turned over, but now no power to fuel pump.

So I replaced the starter relay, sled turns over, starts and runs for 3 seconds and dies. Fuel pump not priming or making a peep, the relay just clicks. Started troubleshooting, checked the 10 amp fuse at the starter relay, swapped out the relay, still nothing. Is it possible that trying to bypass the starter relay cooked my fuel pump? I guess the next step in troubleshooting would by to pull the seat off and test for voltage at the fuel pump.

Another odd thing is that i plugged the speedo and headlight assembly back in, guages work, but the headlights don't come on when the power is turned on.

Any suggestions? Thanks for any help you can give me.
After more reading, its leading to a ground block that probably burnt when i jumpered the relay, but dont know where they are. Anyone? TIA.

no power at headlight fuse or fuel pump fuse, checked the 2 ground blocks by the primary, both fine...

Have you checked all three fuses circled in red?
Only one of the two 30amp ATC fuses are active. One is a spare.
Check the other 30amp fuse. Green box with the clear top.
Did you check if you were given the correct relay. Apex and Vector relays look the same but are wire different.
Apex uses fuse A while Vector will use fuse B. I have run into this before. Parts guy did not have the Apex relay and said the Vector was identical. He was right . They look the same but the bus line running from the battery post to the fuse is opposite for each.

Attachments

• 20200201_184218.jpg
    20200201_184218.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 283
Last edited:
Have you checked all three fuses circled in red?
Only one of the two 30amp ATC fuses are active. One is a spare.
Check the other 30amp fuse. Green box with the clear top.
Did you check if you were given the correct relay. Apex and Vector relays look the same but are wire different.
Apex uses fuse A while Vector will use fuse B. I have run into this before. Parts guy did not have the Apex relay and said the Vector was identical. He was right . They look the same but the bus line running from the battery post to the fuse is opposite for each.
Hi Steiner, thanks, I checked every fuse on the sled and every relay. I am not even getting power to the fuel pump fuse or the headlamp fuse. I have also checked 3 out of the 4 ground blocks, 2 by the primary and 1 by the ECU. Not sure where the 4th one is located. Maybe there are more than that?

Last edited:
do you know if the picture of the three ground blocks is in the nose by the ECU? I found one obvious one, but are there more in the big cluster with the tag on it?
Yes, as I took that photo of my ground blocks. On my 08 Apex LTX-GT , I found a total of 6 square grounding blocks and two flat grounding blocks. Of those square blocks, two are the ones you found above the primary clutch but there are three more further down the wire harness that goes into the nose and near the ECU. There was also one on the passenger side near the fuse box. On my Apex, there was also a flat ground block with the two blocks you found and another one with the three further down in the nose.

Hi Steiner, thanks, I checked every fuse on the sled and every relay. I am not even getting power to the fuel pump fuse or the headlamp fuse. I have also checked 3 out of the 4 ground blocks, 2 by the primary and 1 by the ECU. Not sure where the 4th one is located. Maybe there are more than that?
Did you check the configuration of the starter relay? Which fuse is it powering?

hi and thank you, the fuse on the starter relay is for the fuel pump, not sure why Yamaha put it there. I am trying to understand the fuel pump circuit from power to ground. Does it go battery - key - kill switch - relay - fuse - fuel pump -ground? This would really help figure where in the harness to dig. I have power to the relay coil, but seems like the pump circuit is dead, there's an open somewhere.

I thought i would just update, I did figure out what the issue was. They gave me the wrong starter relay! The one that they gave me had the + and - on the opposite side. The fuse for the fuel pump was on the starter side, so that explains why the sled would start and run for a few seconds. The fuel pump was only getting power when the key was in the start position, when the key was released there was no power to the pump. Changed the relay and life is fine. Thanks to everone that offered advice.

Yup. Seen that a few times
you were bang on, it took me a while to figure out what you were talking about. I had 3 starter relays and all 3 were different. Once i realized that the metal piece connected to the active fuse it all made sense. thanks for your help.

Back