• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Apex problem-Semi solved

number1kyster

TY 4 Stroke God
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2018 SW RTX SE
My father has a 2007 Attak GT with 18,000 miles. We are having some issues with it. It will not idle, it sounds like it is running on 3 cylinders, burns 30% more fuel than normal, and it struggles to pull above 9,000 rpm. Any ideas? Im wondering if the timing skipped a tooth. Maybe its something electrical? Anyone elses machine display these symptoms?

Changed the plugs today. No difference. The plugs were a nice golden brown. Sled is at the dealer now. I'm guessing something electrical.

If it backfires when letting off the throttle then yes it would be the donuts. He didn't mention any backfiring issues tho

18000 miles my buddy had a similar problem at 16000 plus would stall at idle, turned out broken valve springs weak valve springs and valve issues. Please let us know what you find

Dealer called. They tested the coils and they were all fine. They did a leak down test and here were the results:

From left to right if you are sitting on the sled:

8%
10%
30%
100%

They are going to take off a valve cover tomorrow and investigate. Turns out these motors aren't bullet proof. This Apex has been maintained and ridden by the book with 0 modifications!

18,ooo miles and no problems till now, i would consider that bulletproof.

10000 RPM for a 4 stroke is demanding task. Given the conditions it is exposed to between weight,cold and you name it.

Other than exhaust donuts and suspension parts it has been flawless. He was talking about bringing it in for the 25,000 mile valve adjustment but sounds like that can be done now.

When i had my R-1 streetbike i would twist that throttle all the time ! It would see 15,000rpm quite a bit.sold it with 18000mi no issues ran great ! now my R-6 i do the same but revs way higher ! i cant believe it would be the valve train on the apex,(maybe some :nos )or at some point the boots were not sealing proper? syht happens ... let us know

Like I said, this sled has been 100% stock it's whole life and maintained by the book. It never even gets held WOT for very long.

Back